The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Riskiest Murder

That’s very true!! I always thought it was highly unlikely he would land so close to the plane, and he could have so easily been physically unable to hide the parachute.

Great example!!

"By Dawn's Early Light" is risky in another way. When Commander Rumford tells Mr. Haines that he wants Captain Loomis to shoot off the cannon and Mr. Haines tells him no, he wants to do it. After the murder, the secretary tells Columbo that Mr. Haines temper got him killed. If Mr. Haines said that it would be okay for Captain Loomis to shoot off the cannon, Captain Loomis would have been killed.

Agree. I thought of that before as well and could only assume that if he had said fine for Loomis to do it, then Rumford would have found a way to go and “inspect” the cannon to reverse things. The failure of that solution would have been if Haynes let Loomis do it at the last second.

It's just the opposite of planning a murder, but in IDENTITY CRISIS, Brenner does something to Melville that he's hoping WON'T kill him, and it doesn't, but it probably it COULD. No matter how carefully Brenner sets up that explosion, Melville could still be killed.

The Most Dangerous Match: Clayton easily could have been observed with Dudek in the basement. With the machine in operation, the workers probably were nearby and could have walked in at any time.

The Most Dangerous Match: Clayton easily could have been observed with Dudek in the basement. With the machine in operation, the workers probably were nearby and could have walked in at any time.

"Trouble Waters" comes to mind for me, as Hayden Danziger really takes a risk in leaving the doctor's room that he is in to go and kill Rosanna Wells in her cabin. Any time a murderer plans on their alibi being set in a particular place where people can vouch for their presence, to leave that presence is a major risk. Anything can happen.

Also, it's always bothered me that he wasn't able to throw those gloves overboard, in spite of the portholes not opening, and in spite of "a ship being a bigger place than people imagine." You'd think that with all his planning he would have found SOME way.

Grant you are right on about the gloves and this has been discussed before on this sight. Like you I don't get it either.....

Here are some other risky killings:

Columbo Likes the Nightlife - Justin leaves the party for an extended period of time when he murders Linwood and Columbo ends up questioning him about that.

A Bird in the Hand - Dolores took many risks and I'm surprised nobody saw her In order to run down Big Fred, she would have had to get out of the grounds undetected, steal the gardener's truck, run down big Fred, abandon the truck, and get back home with nobody seeing her. Wayyy too risky in my book.

Dr. Mayfield going into Sharon's apartment to plant the drugs after the fact.

Fred
Grant you are right on about the gloves and this has been discussed before on this sight. Like you I don't get it either.....

Here are some other risky killings:

Columbo Likes the Nightlife - Justin leaves the party for an extended period of time when he murders Linwood and Columbo ends up questioning him about that.

A Bird in the Hand - Dolores took many risks and I'm surprised nobody saw her In order to run down Big Fred, she would have had to get out of the grounds undetected, steal the gardener's truck, run down big Fred, abandon the truck, and get back home with nobody seeing her. Wayyy too risky in my book.

Dr. Mayfield going into Sharon's apartment to plant the drugs after the fact.

Or even Dr. Mayfield breaking into and leaving Harry Alexander's apartment. I've lived in apartment complexes before and there is always someone around not to mention nosey neighbors.