The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The One Time Columbo's Thought-Process Puzzled Me

I have to say you've given me some interesting things to process, Jake. I like your take on this. It's true what you say that Kay's questioning why a stranger couldn't be 18 feet in the room might be slightly peculiar to Columbo. And when people start to give him possible directions to go, his own experience might lead him to believe that the person doing so is trying to hide something. So I'm going to shift to "Death Hits the Jackpot"...have you seen my past posts on that? If you responded with your take, let me know and I'll find it. Would like your opinion on an episode I feel has the biggest plot hole ever.

Okay, you got me going; I dug up your piece and added my reply below it.

Mark MacAndrews
Feb 22, 2018 - 8:52PM

"I'm going to guess this has been analyzed already, but can somebody explain the inexplicable? Why does Freddy Brower's wife, Nancy, agree to conspire with Leon Lamarr to murder Freddy? She was legally married to Freddy when he hit the $30M jackpot. She, free and clear, would get $15M to herself. But instead, she lets Leon take the whole $30M jackpot, with what? The hopes they share it so she could get $15M? They weren't in love. This was an old man/younger woman fling. Also, since Leon was considered the winner, there's this little thing about Leon's wife. If Leon divorced her to be with Nancy, well, wouldn't she get half of the money? Seriously of all Columbo episodes, this is a plot hole as gaping as the Grand Canyon. Somebody make me understand this better."

I’m not going to flip this one over... because I don’t see this defect. I see the greater resonating theme in this episode -- based on what goes down in real life -- that a sudden load of money will trigger a series of machinations that will not end well. And along the way people will behave greedily, irrationally, and frankly, when they’re not too bright to begin with, the stupidity will be compounded.

The dialogue on money begins immediately, even before the jackpot, when Freddy and Nancy are arguing about money, albeit the lack thereof. We see it again with the couple in the jewelry store where an expensive piece is tossed on a scale with the grandchildren’s education on the other side. Then, the Columbo expensive nightgown scene with Mrs. Brower. But getting back to the stupidity, Freddie’s call upon Uncle Leon is the first move in a chain reaction of selfishness and greed.

Of course, by the time Leon addresses the situation with Nancy he’s already been designated the winner through the agreement with Freddy, who wanted to keep Nancy – his big problem – out of it. As Leon puts the proper spin on this in his delivery to Nancy, she becomes infuriated and vengeful of Freddy’s deceitful intentions. At the same time, she lust-fullfillingly has (or it’s been going on a while) this fling thing with Leon (which is utterly repulsive, at best, and therefore helps drives the momentum of the theme) and agrees to protect him by being the lynch pin in his alibi (for whatever millions were floated by Leon). It’s a sordid ascension of self-serving events that are borne from and will never leave the gutter. Any thoughts of “oh, hey I’m still married to this guy and can collect the $” are not only overtaken by a ready and willingness to assist in his demise and share the dough with Leon in a passionate haze (that hangs about them like a bad stench), but such thoughts are hollow anyway even if they are resorted to, i.e. you "use" your relationship with your soon-to-be ex spouse to collect money. It’s just ugly all around.

And Freddy is already a marked man, with Leon being puffed up and all from a TV appearance, a giant check, and a party for millionaires. There’s no going back for Leon. The cut off the top he is supposed to receive from Freddy is way more than what he can now imagine ever giving to Freddy -- er, check that, he’s just going to do away with Freddy. Maybe Leon’s wife’s inheritance has entered the equation, but he’s got to take care of his big problem, Freddie. The bathtub dunking scene of his nephew, more gruesome and ruthless than most, fits right in.

That Leon gets done in by a cheap piece of jewelry and a chimpanzee is a deserved and satisfying bullseye. Indeed, it was the monkey who behaved most like a human being at Freddy’s place. The denouement was reminiscent of A Case of Immunity where Columbo sets the stage for any ships that need to sink themselves, but in this case these moralless creatures are but a couple of rabid sewer rats fighting until the death… which has already rotted their souls anyway.

Greed begets greed.

And check the end with Columbo strolling out of the auction house discussing his 25th anniversary and saying his wife doesn’t need jewelry.

Your response has me thinking that potentially Nancy finding out from Leon exactly when Freddy concocted his plan with Leon might have played into her actions. Maybe after Leon was crowned the winner she thought the only chance she had at getting the money was to partake in this plan to kill Freddy. Maybe it was a risk she wasn't willing to take. But still, she did hold off on signing the final decree, so something is amiss. But yeah, the levels of greed in this episode are staggering. Freddy, unfortunately, couldn't just take his half and start a new life....he wanted her to have none of it. Leon, actually could've asked Freddy for more than 3M if you think about it. Anything less than 50% and Freddy makes out on the deal. I find it hard to think Freddy says no if Leon asks for $10M...Freddy would still keep $23M. The denouement is pretty original with the monkey prints. Reminded me a little of Dale Kingston in "Suitable for Framing" saying, "They're covered with my prints..." and Columbo tells him, "We're not looking for your prints..."

Great points. You've inspired me to think in depth and get more out of these episodes -- see more connections in and between them and have a closer look at plot dynamics. There's a lot left to our interpretation, but sometimes it doesn't add up... like Grand Deceptions. Maybe I'll give that whirl again.

Well I have to pay you the same compliment, Jake. Your views on episodes has really gotten me to look at each one a bit differently. I'll probably ask your opinion in the future lol.

Troubled waters, I think it is a bit strange that Columbo starts suspect something/someone because of a feather that he could have been resposible for bringing to the doctors office him self.
Columbo was at the crime scene and touched the pillow.

Yeah Richard, funny how Bob Vaughn got no benefit of the doubt from the Lt. in either episode. I always get a kick out of the way Columbo points at Charles Clay when he and his wife first answer the door in Commodore. LOL

Like, "You, come with me now." hehe

Negativ reaction, is an episode I like but now the recent viewing something bothered me. I realy like the climax when Columbo reveals the murderer at the end but Columbos trick to fool Dick van **** with the enlarged photo should realy not work because it was not the last picture of the crime, Dick got a photo with the blackmail letter, Columbo showed him a couple of photos that he found in the fireplace and there should be plenty of photos that the LAPD CSI had taken.

But maybe Dick van **** felt some pressure and immediatily wanted to beat Columbo with is misstake and did not think of other possibilities.

The ransom photo sent with the letter WAS the last photo taken and it DID match the negative in the camera.

The discarded photos in the fireplace were taken FIRST and discarded because the lighting or exposure were off. Columbo noticed that the photos were imperfect compared to the final photo sent, and this was part of what incriminated Galesko.