The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Characters Murdered Who Would Have Made Good Killers Themselves

Tony Galper (Carmine Giovinazzo) from "Columbo Like the Nightlife" would probably have made a good murderer, too. He was strangling/roughing up Vanessa Fowler when he met his fate.

I tend to think of the murder victims who not only had it coming but seemed to be downright nasty people: I'd go with Edna Brown in "Swan Song."...just a miserable, bible-spouting woman who wanted her Lost Souls tabernacle built regardless of how it got done....including blackmail and hiding the fact that she knew Tommy Brown committed statutory rape. And another is Jesse Jerome in "Now You See Him"...another blackmailer who was so greed-filled, he was willing to keep a former, Nazi death camp squad guard "safe" as long as he could keep bleeding him for 50% of his earnings.

On the note of some of the more nasty victims, Frances Galesko ranks high on the nasty scale. Although she only deserved divorce, not murder. You can see how she sucked the sole out of Paul Galesko. And she may have made a good murderer herself as well

In the episode "Playback," Margaret Meadis (Martha Scott) would have been a good murderer. She hated her son-in-law Harold Van Wick (Osker Werner).

Here's a funny yet crazy one - how about "The Commodore" (Otis Swanson) killing someone? He was obviously a very bitter man who hated Charles Clay - he was kicking himself for not only giving his daughter away to him but also allowing Clay to run the boatyards into "too much" of a business.

While I don't think he would have made a good murderer (unless the actor played him differently), Leonard Fisher from MURDER, SMOKE AND SHADOWS definitely had a strong motive.

Mrs Peck in Double Shock. I can imagine her lashing out with a frying pan. She might have been the one to kill Columbo!

Aghhhh!!!!! Sorry, not paying attention, I know she wasn't killed.

Nolan should have been murdered for her over-the-top performance!

Richard Anderson's Bryce Chadwick with his controlling persona could easily have smoothly carried out a murder if he thought it would help the family's interests.

Just thinking through this a little bit more, Vic Norris would have made a good murderer because he was an arrogant little idiot.

I think Beau Wiliamson would have been a good murderer. Good old western Texas tough guy. I always try to plug and play actors who could have been other murderers and I always felt Forrest Tucker fit the bill. Perhaps he could have played Paul Hanlon.

And he was the blackmail victim, and usually the blackmail victim IS the murderer.
Plus, Robert Middleton always had that great "tough guy" look about him.

Just thought of an obvious choice: Edmund the nephew of Abigail Mitchell in "Try and Catch Me". Obvious because he WAS a murderer (accused, at least by Mitchell of murdering her niece, Phyllis).

Karl Lessing was possibly bitter enough to kill Viveca, instead of being killed BY her.

Jesse Jerome in Now You See Him was just so cool and methodical as he's prosecuting Sgt Mueller at the beginning. You can tell he's in it for the money, but has such a hate and low opinion of Santini (rightfully so).