The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Columbo Can See Through Those Stupid Alibis

Try adding some to this idea -- Some of the most obvious lies are seen through so fast by Columbo but he very wittingly pretends to understand what the murderer is saying is fact. Things like:

Milo Janus: "I ran my hand under some hot water while shaving"

Abagail Mitchell: "Out back." (referring to Edmund's keys)

Nelson Brenner: "I closed the blinds for privacy"

Nelson Hayward (a/k/a His Own Man): "If you would have examined the jacket you would have found the cuffs were starting to fray and there was a small cigarette burn in the left sleeve. That's why ten days ago I ordered a new jacket"

Re: Columbo Can See Through Those Stupid Alibis

General Hollister's idea that the witness saw him at two different times and "telescoped" the two times so it was one man shooting another sounds pretty unlikely. (And when he said that, he didn't even know who the witness was or that people like her mother considered her unreliable, or else it might have been a little more plausible.)

Re: Columbo Can See Through Those Stupid Alibis

Columbo's barely disguised laughter while Alex Benedict describes the emotional turmoil of the artistic mind and why it could have been suicide is a wonderful scene. It's completely clear that Columbo doesn't believe a word of it.