The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: For a Smart Guy, Dr. Kepple was an Imbecile.

That is a good point, Fred. Really no plausible explanation as to why he wouldn't dispose of such an incriminating piece of evidence. Not like General Hollister's precious, pearl-handled Colt 45 that he simply couldn't get himself to part with....

In "Requiem for a Falling Star," Nora Chandler could not part with her house and the fountain that went with it.

cindy
In "Requiem for a Falling Star," Nora Chandler could not part with her house and the fountain that went with it.
That's because she buried her husband in the backyard and put the fountain over his grave.

He also could've tried to convince Victor that they had a standoff, where either one could ruin the other, which might have ended things right there. I know I keep saying that about Robert Culp and Patricia Crowley in Death Lends A Hand, but here he has a lot more time to think about that.

"Double Exposure" IMO has not been called out enough for its narrative gaps that I think stem from the fact that it was clearly shot as a two hour episode and then aired as a 90 minute one. (And that explains why Arlene Martel is credited but not seen)

But even with the narrative gaps that an uncut episode would clear up we would indeed be left with these other problems. Why doesn't Kepple simply use the *same* gun to kill Roger? Instead, he breaks into the Norris home to steal a gun so he can try to tie her to killing Roger but since that gun isn't going to match the gun that killed Norris, it's not going to advance his frame attempt.

I've always wondered if Roger was part of Kepple's back up plan from the start in case the Police came after him. There's Kepple's impersonation on the telephone to Mrs Norris which does sound a bit like Roger and then Mrs Norris is asked to meet at the corner of Valley and Magnolia. We later find out that Roger moonlights at the Magnolia theatre to make a little extra money. Coincidence ?

I think if Kepple hadn't got away with making the murder look like a random act then the finger of suspicion would very quickly have been pointed at Roger as the so called spurned lover.

I've mentioned it before, but I think Bart is nearly the only married killer whose wife or husband isn't seen. But he's definitely married because of that one line about Tanya.
I never thought of it before, but maybe his wife was edited out just like Tanya herself. (If so, the actress didn't make it to the credits, unlike Arlene Martel.)

I always thought this episode was overrated. The second murder was one of the most unrealistic in whole series. There is no way he could walk in and out of the theater and projection room without being noticed. I'll take Death Lends a Hand as my favorite episode with Kulp.

As much as I like the other actors, I think Louise Latham's second scene really stands out. I always like that smile she gives when Columbo tells her he believes her by saying "My wife could come up with a better alibi than that."