The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nelson Hayward....just trying to be a little too helpful?

I always thought that Hayward was extra helpful because he's a politician. It makes sense for a private citizen to clam up and not speak to the police, but it's all part of his identity as a politician- be open, speak freely, be charismatic and arrogant!

It didn't serve him well but I think his "helpful" nature actually fits his character. As far as other characters are concerned, I think it makes little to no sense to be helpful!

Mrs. Peck
Cindy,

In a matter of speaking yes. The difference being that Danziger was actively recruited by Colombo, while Haywards assistance was passive. I think Hayward just got too involved with trying to help. Much like a child that is caught with his hand in the cookie jar, and comes up with all kinds of excuses as to why they shouldn\\\\\\\'t be blamed. It would seem to me that if a person was completely innocence of any wrong doing. They wouldn\\\\\\\'t try to crack the case with the police.

By the way I found this episode to be one of the more entertaining. I just loved the interaction between Falk and Cooper. Cooper had some of the best comebacks.

Would you believe it? The first thing I did this morning when I left your campaign headquarters, I run right over to your tailor\\\\\\\'s.

I\\\\\\\'m sure he was delighted.
He loves a challenge.

What do you mean, sir? Nothing, nothing, it\\\\\\\'s a small joke.
"Much like a child that is caught with his hand in the cookie jar, and comes up with all kinds of excuses as to why they shouldn't be blamed."

All joking aside, maybe the actor's early career helped with that. He was one of the Little Rascals, and he had all those other kid roles.

In 'Suitable for Framing' , Dale Kingston 1st hints that if Columbo wants to learn more about art......
soon after he even gives Columbo keys to his apartment?.....