The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The one big thing that has always bothered my about Grand Deceptions.

That's a Grand plothole. I always wondered who signed for the order on delivery. Didn't it seem funny that toy soldiers weighed as much as a box full of books?

I can't comment too much on the other stuff because, while I used to watch the full, uncut episodes either on Netflix or dvd, I can now only access MeTV's versions which are heavily edited. Sometimes I can remember what parts they are cutting out, but Grand Deceptions wasn't one of the episodes that is seared into my memory.

Sometimes they edit in a way that causes confusion for those who are not already familiar with the episode. Maybe I should dig out the old dvd's again.

MeTV isnt the only Network that cuts things out. Columbo is also on Cozi TV. At certain times of the day. I recently recorded the Bye Bye Sky High IQ murder episode. They edited some things out of there that were key in my opinion and they also edited out the scene where Columbo's car almost gets hit by a speeding vehicle going around him as he's pulling away from the house. I bring that up because I find that scene to be very hilarious. And they just axed it right out of the whole episode. By cutting scenes and/or shortening them they do a "real hatchett job" on the rest of the episode (as Bud Clark would say.....)

"This object that I have in my hand is a flashlight, is that right? You all see that?" This has to be one of my favorite bizarre lines of Columbo dialogue ever.

Getting back to the books / miniatures... that's one of those details that has always perplexed me, and I love your theory about Brailie calling the store and specifically asking for the different boxes. It's such a key clue - in fact THE final clue of the episode - that I always felt they should have spent more time on it. Or, you know, come up with something better.

My theory was always that Brailie pulled the switch HIMSELF... maybe had the packages shipped to himself earlier, or obtained everything from an off-the-books source (he DOES seem well-connected on an international level, I'm sure pulling something like that off wouldn't be beyond him).

Any way you slice it, it's not the best clue. But for some reason I've always enjoyed this episode - Foxworth makes a really detestable villain, and his exchange with Columbo about the shrunken head and the sticks is very solid.

I agree that Grand Deceptions is a better episode than it gets credit for. I love the scene where Columbo finds the love nest and makes a total pest of himself:

Columbo: Oh, you're expecting a lady, sir? Well then, I'll get out of your hair. If you don't mind my asking, why not see her at your house? Oh, I see, discretion, right. Well, I'll just be off then.....Wait! Aren't you a bachelor? Ohhhh... she's the one that's married. Well then that explains it. One last thing, sir, do you mind if I use your washroom for just a brief moment?

Braille: Err, actually Lieutenant I'm expecting...

Columbo: Thanks, I'll be only a second.

Of course he takes his sweet time in there and swipes a personal item to help identify who the lover is. Lieutenant Columbo is, as Ken Franklin once said: "Always in the neighborhood".

There are so many things wrong with Grand Deceptions from the absurd plot hole with the two boxes to the at times woeful level of acting skills on display.

Having said all that, for a reason I can never quite explain, I've always enjoyed watching this one.

Agreed, "Grand Deceptions" is a guilty Columbo pleasure of mine.

"Do you see this box marked 'military miniatures'? That would be toy soldiers, sir."
"Don't patronize me, Lieutenant!"

I'm glad I purchased the entire set of the Columbo episodes because I don't worry about the edited portions.

I thought it was the mud that solved the case. I didn't pay attention to the books, just the mud.

Interesting topic.