The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Who had the most star power at the time they appeared on Columbo?

Dick Van Dyke. He was a seasoned actor by the time paul galesko came around. And as previously mentioned Ricardo Montalban. Julie Newmar in Double Shock as well.

In 'uneasy lies the crown' there are a host of great people sitting around the card table at john ballantines place. But none of them had "major roles"

My vote goes to Ray Milland. His performance in Lost Weekend is stunning if you haven't seen it, and got him an Academy Award. Not sure how many Academy Award winners in a leading role made it into Columbo. He was obviously older when he did Columbo so his "star power" was more senior, but nonetheless did a fantastic job in Death Lends a Hand and in Greenhouse Jungle.

Anyway, my respect for him as an actor tripled after I saw him in Lost Weekend a few years ago.

Susan Clark would probably be another.

And Roddy McDowall. 1971-72 would be a very big period for him, with the PLANET OF THE APES movies and other things.

This may be a character flaw on my part, but have never seen a "Planet of the Apes" movie.:open_mouth:

Too bad, because I think I underestimated the fame of Roddy MacDowell at the time of his Columbo appearance.

But how about Kim Hunter too? Academy Award winner in the 50s and also a major part of the "Ape" franchise at the time of her Columbo role.

How about Janet Leigh in "Forgotten Lady?" Wasn't that after "Bye Bye Birdie" and "Psycho?" She was excellent in "Forgotten Lady." I enjoyed all her scenes mostly the dancing scenes both in the show and in "Rocking My Baby Back Home." I want to check if Amazon has that movie to buy. I would like to see it.

I like the topic.