The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RIP Rip Torn a.k.a. Leon Lamarr

I wake up at an obscenely early hour and was checking the news, and came across the sad report that "Columbo" vet Rip Torn (of "Death Hits the Jackpot") passed away yesterday.

Torn turned in probably one of the best comedic performances by any "Columbo" murderer, original series OR new series; I'll always love his over-the-top reaction to the Lieutenant informing him of his nephew Freddy's death.

Beyond our favorite show, of course, my favorite Rip Torn performance was in Albert Brooks's "Defending Your Life," as a sort of "heavenly" defense attorney.

A moment of silence for a great performer.

Re: RIP Rip Torn a.k.a. Leon Lamarr

I, admittedly, haven't seen a lot of Rip's movies but I loved him in Dodgeball. "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Rip Torn was one of my favorite actors in Hollywood. His performance in The Larry Sanders Show (HBO comedy) was so good, which IMO is one of the funniest series ever on HBO. Rip and Gary Shandling had an amazing comedic energy between them that I cannot ever see being duplicated.

I saw Rip on the boardwalk near the Coronado Bridge in San Diego once. No one else around. We just nodded and said "hi" to each other, and just kept walking. Nonetheless, it was a very memorable moment for me.

I posted this a little over a week ago - when I saw it I immediately thought of "Death Hits the Jackpot". Rip Torn was terrific in that episode - one of my favorites of the recent Columbos.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/michigan-man-won-80-million-234817589.html