The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: what the hell happened???

Her Bob, good to hear from you. Welcome back. Well, a few things: About the overall look and feel, webmaster Steve felt that it was in keeping with Columbo's style that we retain the look and feel of a vintage web site -- "show people what the internet used to look like", I think he said. And, I get what he's saying. He did overhaul the home page, though.

More substantively, while it is true that there is always more to say about "Columbo", I began to feel, in terms of fully developed articles for the Scrapbook, that we had hit all the key topics once I did the Shoes and the Cigars (which I think were covered in good detail). AT that point we had all the bases covered as far as basic, key topics -- the Wife and the Raincoat got their due, and more. As to the car coverage, I think we can't be beat as there are a number of articles with different approaches. Some of the other stuff is off-beat and obscure -- we pretty much got the scoop on Mike Lally, and I did an extended interview with his son.

There was no one point when we pronounced it "done" but we reached a point where there was no burning itch that needed scratching before we could consider the UCS a respectable all-around tribute and collection of essays. So while more can always be said, I think there's nothing "missing".

Along the way I got to "meet" Peter Falk on The View and be on TV "with" him, and corresponded with him a few times. We heard from fans all over the world. It has been an adventure, and I I am happy to help give other fans a place to have their say about "Columbo" at this point. It's always a little amazing what people come up with.

Meanwhile, Yes I'd like to do more updating and it's true that the body of the site has been static for some time. But, here's what else happened:

I got married, and started a family, and did not have as much time on my hands as I used to. In fact, looking back, it's hard to believe how much time I devoted to putting all the details together, from scraps and notes I had made while watching the episodes over the years. I sometimes worked on it well into the night. But then... Life happens.

Not to mention, I had cardiac bypass surgery then a heart attack, so although I recovered nicely, a lot of my time, when I'm not at work is spent at the gym, sadly at the expense of some other hobbies.

But I have not lost interest in Columbo or this site by any means - I'm still here every day. But I think at this point there's no shame in saying that the Forum is the living, beating heart of the site. And it's only right to have other people, other fans, making their contributions to the body of work through the Forum. The Forum is well suited to that, and the fans here are the best.

I hope things are going well for you in Scotland. Steve and I still email sometimes, and we take turns keeping up the fees for the site and the Forum. As you may know, we met in person twice: First on his honeymoon when he and his bride were in New Jersey, and then on my honeymoon in London. Good times!

And it's not that many more years before I'll be ready to retire from work, assuming I don;t croak first. And then I'll have lots more time to spare, and who knows!

Take care,

Ted

Are we sure the original post wasn’t from a troll? This has the feel of having been posted by an impostor. And I am one of the “old-timers”, posting since 2000, but I stopped using my regular posting moniker a few years ago for a few reasons. Nobody ever mentioned me when they wondered where some of the “old-timers” went, so I guess I’m not missed. But I don’t see a problem with the site...still a great resource.

Could be, and I never really knew Bob, but I'm guessing it's him. Bob helped Steve to create the web site initially, then bowed out of an active role and moved on to other projects, of which he had many. I guess Bob has high standards for web design, although it's kind of ironic that the look he now considers so awful is pretty much what he helped design in the first place! It just hasn't changed with the times, as his other designs presumably have. Anyway, I have only good wishes for Bob Hoey, as he is partly responsible for creating the site that has brought me much joy over the years.

If Bob was referring to the look of the Forum specifically, I make no apologies for the choice. Our original Forum host disappeared one day with almost zero notice, and I looked hard to find one that was similar, because I really don't like the alternatives that do things like force you to choose a sub-category, or have no options for how to view the threads, etc., and some are actually pretty ugly. Bravenet is fine, and once we opted to pay for the "Pro" option to make the ads go away, we've been happy with it. The important factor, of course, is the fan contributions, which remain first-rate with almost none of the trolling that dominates other forums.

This is great site and I greatly appreciate it. Maybe the writer is doing some trolling. Just for myself - normally when I don't have anything to do with something for a decade I don't care much about it when I finally return to it. And if something did decay which is not the case here, I would feel I should not say anything because I did not make an effort to help for such a long time.

Re: what the hell ???

It's fine. Keeping this website maintained (and paid for) and having a place for such an active forum is much appreciated. Oh, and just one more thing: Thanks.

Big Jake
It's fine. Keeping this website maintained (and paid for) and having a place for such an active forum is much appreciated. Oh, and just one more thing: Thanks.
Amen.

Yes, thank you. I love this site and am grateful for it!!

I am a newcomer and I enjoy this website. I look forward to new topics and responding to them. I had the opportunity to start a new topic and I had many responses.

I’ve been posting on the forum for about ten years. I take breaks now and then, but I love having a place to obsess about a great show that has brought me so much enjoyment. I feel less like a freak around you guys because most of you you are just as obsessed, lol.

I’ve been enjoying Columbo since my childhood. It helped relax me when I was building a business and working 95 hours a week. I still watch Columbo late at night. It’s my guilty pleasure.

So, needless to say, when I found a website like this I was overjoyed. I don’t know what anybody else expected, but the forum is what’s most important. I really don’t know how I could improve this site. Better graphics? Who cares?

I also understand the work, time and money that goes into running a website like this. Kudos to Ted and anyone else for your efforts in bringing us together.

Love the content of this site but find it hard to use because the older design is not mobile-responsive. However that takes time & money to update an old website and transfer to newer forum formats. Do the people who run this site want to update it? If so, what kind of help would be appreciated? Thanks.