The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: No Time To Die

I think that you're in the minority around here on that episode because nobody really cares for it including me. The kidnapper was 100% psychotic. No doubt about that. To that end, I really would not go out of my way to watch this episode again.

The problem with “No Time To Die” and “Undercover” is that, because they are based on Ed McBain’s 87th Precinct novels, they change Columbo’s character. Perhaps as standalone TV movies they would be fine. But as Columbo episodes they don’t even remotely follow the established formula. The cat and mouse battle of wits is gone and instead, Columbo is kicking in doors and smacking goons around. It doesn’t fit.

I think it gives Columbo a fuller character. A real detective would have to take a different approach and tactics with different criminals, maybe 99% would be the same way, but not 100%.

I agree with Stephen. I know a LOT of people hate this episode, but I quite enjoy it. Don't misunderstand me, I like the established formula and Columbo's usual methods, but I also liked seeing him out of his element, with time pressure and no prep to sweat... Just the lingering abject terror of a relative (in-law, but anyways) meeting a foul end. Yes, it's unusual: but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable!