The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drinks, cigars, first names

Has Columbo ever actually drunk an alcoholic drink given to him? Or lit a cigar given to him? How many times did he call someone by their first name instead of 'Sir' or 'Ma'm'? I did noticed that he was talking to Ken Franklin and called him 'Ken'. I also remember he opened a can of beer, can't remember if it was 'College', but never drank a sip of it.

Re: Drinks, cigars, first names

He definitely drinks wine in "Any Old Port."
In "A Friend In Deed" he admits that he got drunk at a police function.
He's offered bourbon by both Ken Franklin and Ray Fleming, and I want to say he definitely drinks it, but I'm not sure.

I know he calls Goldie in "Blueprint" by her name from the moment she tells him to.

I should have remembered he does in Any Old Port, feels like the writers allowed it due to being educational and high brow.

He also drinks wine at the last supper with Paul Gerard in Murder Under Glass. He accepts a beer from Cooper in Columbo Goes to College, but I don't remember if he actually takes a drink of it, and he said something about drinking a warm beer in Any Old Port.

He gets seriously drunk on his evening out with Joe Devlin in the Conspirators. All in the name of the investigation of course.

In Identity Crisis he accepts a glass of red wine from Brenner but never drinks it.

In one of the more famous scenes (especially for Michael Lally fans) of the series, Columbo takes a beer from the fridge of Michael Lally ("one of the top wire acts in Europe"), pops it open and takes a sip while discussing The Great Santini in "Now You See Him".