The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Are these episodes "bad" or "poor" ( COLUMBO Under Glass) ???

Of course not. Chance to write a book...?

I think Catz brings up a lot of good and interesting points, and the book is fun to read, but I think his ratings are too harsh. The lowest rating I would give any episode (including “No Time to Die” and “Undercover”) is Fair. I think it was a mistake for Catz to include those ratings because his low ratings seem to be the most common complaint made by those who have read the book, and it seems to be off-putting to the readers. He is also inconsistent when downgrading some episodes due to plot holes/inconsistencies/unrealistic elements, but overlooking those things in other episodes. He rates “Playback” and “Any Old Port” quite highly, although zooming in on the invitation like that is impossible in real life, and there are numerous impossibilities with the wine cellar, weather, setup with the body, etc.

Big Jake
Of course not. Chance to write a book...?
Well I did publish an article in FILM SCORE MONTHLY ONLINE.
" The Mysterious World of COLUMBO".
I am happy to reprint it here if possible.
If the site administrator allows it and lets me know how to do it!

Etude is very enjoyable. As is Candidate for Crime. No Time to Die gets 2 thumbs down.

Of course taking a poll on this forum is going to give you a plethora of different opinions of each person. So that might not accurately represent how things are. It's the individuals opinion

I just want to see if the ratings are generally shared by fans .
As a fan who watched the very first episode broadcast, it's certainly possible that newer fans align more with Catz than I do.

"Columbo Under Glass" is entertaining and ambitious, but the ratings are very flawed... I personally think of "Etude in Black," "Death Lends a Hand," "Suitable for Framing," and some of his other "poor" episodes are among the series' very BEST.

As with the section of the book where he suggests some pretty awful "better" titles for some episodes... this is one of the things I prefer to ignore about "Under Glass."

It's weird because the titles he rates "excellent" are all of high quality.
He seems to prefer the later seasons for some reason.
Maybe because they were directed in a more convential style . . the eps. from season one and two tended to be much more stylish.

How anyone could rate "Suitable for framing" as poor is completely beyond me.

Having not read the book I'd love to know what the justification is for that rating?

Wow. I'll definitely not bother with this book then.

Mark R.Y. (Steinmetz)
Wow. I'll definitely not bother with this book then.
Please don't let me discourage you
just because I disagree with some ratings.

As I mentioned before, his ' Best' episodes coincide with mine almost one-to-one.

Plus, you get info on the later episodes.
Brucr