The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Which Victim Really Had it Coming

This is just my opinion but I feel like most blackmailers have it coming. Not the point the finger at anybody specific in the series but blackmailing is definitely a high motive for killing.

Steve
This is just my opinion but I feel like most blackmailers have it coming. Not the point the finger at anybody specific in the series but blackmailing is definitely a high motive for killing.
Wasn't Edna blackmailing Tommy Brown?

Gene Stafford in "Exercise In Fataliy" is near the top of "You asked for it" because the man has no sense of cautionary tact to realize that openly threatening a guy who he *knows* could at the very least rough him up physically is just......DUMB.

Lessing certainly deserved it and it was an accident. That was why the script then had to give us Vivica committing a second pre-meditated murder so that the audience at the end wouldn't feel sorry for her when she gets caught.

I would say Tony Galper in "Columbo Likes the Nightlife."

He wasn't just a bad guy, but his death was an accident while Vanessa was defending herself.

In the same episode, Linwood was also a despicable victim, but that was a cold-blooded murder, which makes it harder for me to say he "deserved" it.

I was seriously considering those two also quid.

Yeah, Edna got what she deserved!
:)

I don't know about deserving it, but Karl Lessing really "asked for it."
Not only did he PRETEND he was willing to negotiate with Viveca, he also pretended that he wanted HER back.

Another vote for this bum.

Jesse Jerome.
Everybody hated the creep. He treated his business partner and staff like dirt.

And, worst of all...
He was willing to ignore Santini's secret career in the Nazi SS if he paid him off; and....Jerome was Jewish.

Santini deserved a medal....before we gassed him.

What about Martin in "Try and Catch me". It's pretty evident that he killed Abigail's daughter. Eye for an eye!

This is a good question because I came to the realization that MOST of the victims DID NOT DESERVE TO DIE!

Other than the blackmailers, Nick Franco, and Martin Hammond, I think most were eliminated for the selfish wants of their ruthless killers!