The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Favourite Line in a Columbo Episode

Val
Rob Thornsby
What's your favourite line in a Columbo episode? Doesn't have to be from the man himself or the funniest but perhaps one that was poignant or thought provoking. Mine is Col Rumford's in By Dawn's Early Light. No-one else but Pat McGoohan could have said this: "Geometry is logic and logic is the battlefield of adulthood". Classic stuff.
My fav ? When Columbo said, EVERY time I see a dead body I think it's been murdered
In "Troubled Waters" Columbo was checking the pianist hands for gunshot powder, he didn't detect any so he asked the Captain if he could search the room, Captn said, "Lt., we don't ask we order"

Any Old Port in the Storm

Carsini compliments Lt.
" You learn very well, Lt."

" That's the nicest thing anybody ever said about me"
I just love that line!

I probably can't remember these word for word, nor which films they were from.

1. "Lieutenant, you appear to be cross examining my daughter". The voice and the wording, reminded me of some old 40s Bette Davis film or something.

2. Columbo to Dog, "Stay here and behave and i'll give you a cookie when I get back. And if you don't behave i'll give you one anyway because I love you.

There are so many. But one favourite that stands out is when Dr. Mayfield asks Columbo if he thinks Marcia (Nina Talbot) knows more than she’s letting on and Columbo’s response is “actually I think she knows less”. Such a beautifully innocent response to confirm how oblivious and naive Columbo clearly understands she is.

Also love when Columbo tells Dog to turn a blind eye to anyone if they try to steal his new coat from the car in Now You See Him. Can’t remember his exact words, but it was a nice nod to both his love of his old coat and his frequent dialogue with his beloved Dog.