The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Vote for Most Annoying Secondary Character

The clerk at the personell office in EXERCISE.

Nancy Brower from "Jackpot". She became increasingly annoying as time went on and that fake crying scene was horrible. Followed by the phone call to Uncle Leon while shes in the bath tub demanding her money.

I never understood one big thing about this entire episode. Lamar was going to get 10% off the top of Freddy's Fortune. That is more than enough to sustain him and his extravagant misses for the rest of their lives comfortably. I just don't understand why he had to kill Freddy and take the whole thing. And to tell Nancy about the fortune was his own unraveling.

The standout one for me is Mrs Peck. The actress was even able to more likable as a calm dignified lying IRA terrorist in The Conspiritors.

Can this include other detectives?
At least one person on this site has said they couldn't stand Doyle in A Friend In Deed - he says some callous things about Renee Cauldwell, and (whether it's definitely bigoted or not) he has that "attitude" toward the man from the halfway house.

Grant
Can this include other detectives?
At least one person on this site has said they couldn't stand Doyle in A Friend In Deed - he says some callous things about Renee Cauldwell, and (whether it's definitely bigoted or not) he has that "attitude" toward the man from the halfway house.
Sure! Whomever gets under your skin. Although Mrs. Peck is still my #1, an honorable mention goes to Helen Stewarts mother. From Dead Weight.

Great topic.

First off, I must admit - in the words of Nelson Brenner - I've always had a rather perverse affection for Mrs. Peck (Jeanette Nolan). In addition to the rest of the strong cast in this episode, she makes it one of the more enjoyable Columbo episodes from the early years.

Now, for the characters who really annoy me (no particular order)

(1) Jennifer Williamson (Pamela Austin) from "Blueprint for Murder" - the secretary's incessant "Yes" response is annoying, but not nearly as annoying as Austin's cardboard style (the phony crying scene and awful delivery of lines) which has always bothered me.

(2) Jason Danzinger (Basil Hoffman) from "Bye Bye Sky High I.Q. Murder Case" - the rubber-band gun theory is just ridiculous and makes this character too putzy for words.

(3) Tina (Rebecca Staab) from "Columbo Cries Wolf" - all the smoochie, smoochie and stares into the camera - maybe it's just my general distaste for models, but this character has always annoyed me. Additionally, I can't stand the running outfit or the cringeworthy way her leg flops out to the side while jogging.

(4) "Sex and the Married Detective" - pick a character - everyone in the office, from David Kincaid (who is murdered) to the secretary, Cindy, bothers me. Only Columbo's hallway head shakes, the musical score and some decent interplay between Joan Allenby and Columbo saves this episode.

I'm sure I can find more, but these are the immediate candidates.

Tina in Columbo Cries Wolf is very cardboard. She is interchangeable with Ed Begley’s girlfriend in Undercover: “And then he got me fresh orange juice”, etc., but nobody beats Mrs Peck. I would also add to the list Darryl the hairdresser, the DMV guy in Negative Reaction (Larry Storch) and the guy who cleans the floors in the gym in Exercise in Fatality. That actor plays a cop in another episode. He is one of the cops that inspect Columbo’s car and issue him a ticket. Kind of a jerk move for one cop to do to another.

Although I enjoyed him in Last Salute to the Commodore I wasnt crazy about his portrayal of "Murch" in Lovely but Lethal. Drunken fat doctor.
Of course Im referring to Fred Draper.

I can imagine people disliking Darryl the hairdresser because he's kind of a stereotype (not that Pete said that that was his reason), but he's not a NASTY stereotype. He kind of reminds me of the two BARNEY MILLER characters "Marty" and "Darryl" (and the BARNEY MILLER Darryl was scared of the police for the same reason as the COLUMBO one), and they weren't nasty stereotypes either.

One last annoying character, I probably overlooked her because she was overshadowed by Mrs. Peck, is Lisa Chambers played by Julie Newmar. I actually like when Columbo interviews her and she’s super nervous. But I don’t like when we first meet her and she bursts into the house and runs upstairs like a child. I get that she wanted to portray “flighty”, but she really overdid it.

I can't stand the Sgt from the Pentagon in Grand Deceptions. The story isn't great as it is but that awful scene at the funeral where the Intelligence Sgt is trying to be "under cover" when talking to Columbo makes me cringe every time.

It's like he's doing everything in his power to attract attention to himself with the changing of seats and the whispering out of the corner of his mouth.

To be honest, everyone involved with this story is awful from beginning to end but as we are talking only about secondary characer's then that would be my pick.

Yes, "Grand Deceptions" was a weak entry and that was due, in part, to some poor performances by supporting characters. The "recruits" and the "undercover" Pentagon guy were all cringeworthy. I enjoy Stephen Elliott and at least he showed up.

True, the scenes with the General and Columbo are the best bits of a weak story.

I seem to remember the lady who played the General's wife, wasn't really an actress, she was a dancer and Grand Deceptions was the only screen work she'd done.

I'd cast my vote for the Air Force General from "Swan Song" - VERY corny and over-the-top performance.

Jbt33
Yes, "Grand Deceptions" was a weak entry and that was due, in part, to some poor performances by supporting characters. The "recruits" and the "undercover" Pentagon guy were all cringeworthy. I enjoy Stephen Elliott and at least he showed up.
Cringeworthy is the perfect word. Next to No Time to Die this is my 2nd worst episode of the series.

What about when Columbo goes to London in Dagger of the Mind - a character called Fenwick - who has the umbrella in the bar. He gets annoying especially when he's saying things like 'how very gracious of you, very gracious'

Not sure if she qualifies as a "secondary character", but I have to nominate Tyne Daly as "Dolores" in "A bird in the hand".

Fake drunkedness
Fake southern accent

Fake, fake, fake. I just couldn't stand her.

I find Tyne Daly to be an excellent actress, but I do prefer her second appearance as the down-on-her-luck, skid row Dorothea McNally. Her drunken stupor feels more nuanced and realistic in "Undercover" than in "A Bird in the Hand".

While I'm here, I'll add Brenda Vaccaro from the awful "Murder in Malibu". Between her and Andrew Stevens, it's hard to say who should get the prize for worst actor in the entire series. Terrible episode that I have a hard time watching anymore.

I have to agree with you on: Brenda Vaccaro from Murder in Malibu. She made the episode pretty much unwatchable.