The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Vote for Most Annoying Secondary Character

I'd cast my vote for the Air Force General from "Swan Song" - VERY corny and over-the-top performance.

Jbt33
Yes, "Grand Deceptions" was a weak entry and that was due, in part, to some poor performances by supporting characters. The "recruits" and the "undercover" Pentagon guy were all cringeworthy. I enjoy Stephen Elliott and at least he showed up.
Cringeworthy is the perfect word. Next to No Time to Die this is my 2nd worst episode of the series.

What about when Columbo goes to London in Dagger of the Mind - a character called Fenwick - who has the umbrella in the bar. He gets annoying especially when he's saying things like 'how very gracious of you, very gracious'

Not sure if she qualifies as a "secondary character", but I have to nominate Tyne Daly as "Dolores" in "A bird in the hand".

Fake drunkedness
Fake southern accent

Fake, fake, fake. I just couldn't stand her.

I find Tyne Daly to be an excellent actress, but I do prefer her second appearance as the down-on-her-luck, skid row Dorothea McNally. Her drunken stupor feels more nuanced and realistic in "Undercover" than in "A Bird in the Hand".

While I'm here, I'll add Brenda Vaccaro from the awful "Murder in Malibu". Between her and Andrew Stevens, it's hard to say who should get the prize for worst actor in the entire series. Terrible episode that I have a hard time watching anymore.

I have to agree with you on: Brenda Vaccaro from Murder in Malibu. She made the episode pretty much unwatchable.