The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lady In Waiting - Never Could Get Into It

The real problem with that episode, is that Hamilton says that the alarm was running when he heard the gunshot. Opposite to what Columbo says he heard and suposedly give him the proof. Checked three times. This episode is a fraud.

To me, the newspaper Bryce brought in would have been a far better "gotcha" clue than the issue of Peter finally and conveniently remembering the shots came before the alarm, which is the sort of detail that would have been learned the first night. That was a lot more incriminating to show Bryce had walked in through the front door.

I like it.

Like many early episodes it is directed in a very stylish manner and the Goldenberg score is fantastic.It has rewatch.( or 'relisten) value for this factor alone!

Even if the script isn't first rate, everything else is.

I couldn’t agree more. The “gotcha part” is definitely flawed, but the opening music gives me goosebumps every time I watch it (which is a LOT!!!). Not to mention the hair salon, the new wardrobe, the list of enjoyable aspects goes on and on. I think for those of us “repeat” watchers, we’re watching for the specific vibe, the dialogue, the music and so much of the background enjoyment. Some of my favourite repeats have plot holes but still make for the most enjoyable viewing.

In my article on the Music of COLUMBO, I singled out this. episode for outstanding music composition.

I can understand how music, fashion, nostalgia, etc. can make an episode more endearing. For those of us of a certain age, seeing Beth Chadwick try on all of the “latest” fashions brings back a lot memories. But it’s hard not to feel old when they’re amazed at the advanced technology of the Selectrix typewriter, lol

Pete
I can understand how music, fashion, nostalgia, etc. can make an episode more endearing. For those of us of a certain age, seeing Beth Chadwick try on all of the “latest” fashions brings back a lot memories. But it’s hard not to feel old when they’re amazed at the advanced technology of the Selectrix typewriter, lol
One of the little pleasures of REWATCHING COLUMBO is the contemporary technology and gadgets . that are worked into plots.
T
1970's ' cutting edge tech includes :
Videotape recorders and cameras
Telephone answering machines
Electric typewriters

And 90s shows
Fax machines
Beeper bracelets
Mobile phones

ALL of these amazed the gadget impaired Lt.!