The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Patrick McGoohan: "Ashes to Ashes" comment

Hello -- Dene from N Ireland here. I haven't visited for a very long time, hope you're all well.

I wondered if anyone knew the answer to this. I have the 2011 biography of the great Patrick McGoohan, "Not A Number" written by Rupert Booth.

In it there's a quote from Patrick at the time of "Ashes to Ashes" which goes thus:

"It is a series with a slow rhythm, previously Peter Falk was making 8 episodes a year, now on the whole it's one per year. When he asks me to write a new episode I have to dine with him for 2 weeks."

Does anyone know where this quote originates? I can't find it anywhere. The citation in the biography is wrong, instead it refers back to a 1990 interview with Patrick that I've read in full.

Any ideas? A press release or something?

Thanks.

Re: Patrick McGoohan: "Ashes to Ashes" comment

I wasn’t aware that McGoohan wrote any scripts other than revising on “Murder with too Many Notes”.

Re: Patrick McGoohan: "Ashes to Ashes" comment

I think Patrick meant RE-writing rather than writing. Peter Falk has said in his memoirs that when you hired Pat McG to star and/or direct, rewriting was a given.

By the way--I found the source! It is from an interview that appeared in French 'Premiere' magazine when BRAVEHEART came out. So it doesn't really apply to "Ashes to Ashes", having taken place in 1995.