The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Any Old Port In A Storm

This is the episode I always enjoy, even though it has some moments which I don't follow that much. But it is a pleasure to watch.
- I think Donald Pleasence will forever stay in my mind as Blofeld from 007 series :)
- I don't have such a sympathy for him as most of people on this forum. He was rather selfish, he really didn't appreciate what his secretary
made for him, he murdered his own brother! and the way of doing that was rather cruel. Although, I gained some sympathy for him throughout all years of watching Columbo
- it was a quite a long time between leaving this wine connoisseurs and coming back to them (while he had a conversation with Ric), should be maybe a little suspicious for them
- Carsini proves that it is really easy to leave the cellar because the door are designed like that. I suppose Ric at one moment wakes up and tries to make himself free. I know his hands were tied, but couldn't he just open that door?
- I think the cellar was big enough to keep a man alive for more than two weeks, although I'm not an expert
- When Carsini leaves a body in the basement, he leaves with some second door, and in next shot he opens some simple wooden door which for sure are not air or waterproof. But maybe theese are some different doors
- all this connoisseurs gruop of people always make me laugh, I don't know why :)
- "a very capable fella, he's a little hard of hearing in his right ear, so stand on his left" <--- love that phrase
- I always wonder how long way Carsini had to make on that bike, from the car to his place :)
- somebody here mentioned that this dancing part is phenomenal here, from that moment I always pay more attention to that :)
- I never understood one detail. Columbo is calling weather forecast to see if it was raining last Tuesday. And it seems that he's got his answer. But anyway he is asking all these people in the bar after that
- the winery guide guy for me looks a little alike to guy from Death Lends a Hand, the worker of detective agency (don't remember his name)
- I have a feeling that Columbo treats this old cleaning guy in winery with a little disrespect, byt maybe it is just my feeling
- I love Vito Scotti, and this wine steward guy, but there is one thing I always have problem with in that scene. So Columbo eventually explains that
it was all a play, the wine steward knew about everything. But he (and Vito Scotti) still seems to be really touched and surprised by all what happens.
And then Columbo pays them some kind of tip and they really look confused why they try this wine. Why are they so surprised if they knew about Columbo's trick?

Re: Any Old Port In A Storm

Regarding your last point, I always assumed the wine steward was somebody else who was off-camera. Vito Scotti maybe was the restaurant owner (who might not have gone along with the trick if he had known about it), and the other guy might have been a waiter?

After Carsini,Karen and Columbo finished their dinner in the restaurant; i likethe way Carsini says he can't wait to see what Columbo has selected for the after dinner wine. Like it's a given that everyone does this.

Mark
After Carsini,Karen and Columbo finished their dinner in the restaurant; i likethe way Carsini says he can't wait to see what Columbo has selected for the after dinner wine. Like it's a given that everyone does this.
It's Pleasance's great performance that makes this episode so rewatchable.
I loved the moment in the car when he chuckles " heh, note -book"

Agree. Pleasance definitely makes this episode one that I like to watch it over again.

Columbo wanted to know if it rained on Tuesday because Rick‘’s car was left uncovered. Who would leave a convertible top down in the rain. Especially if they loved their car. Since, the coroner reported the death to have occurred on Tuesday, the car was probably planted after the fact because the inside was dry.

I think i read on this site that this episode was Peter's favorite episode!