The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Double Exposure

Hi people, next episode is behind me. Before I start, let me only say that I have a huge pleasure with sharing all my feelings and observations after each episode. Maybe I am qute new on this forum (I read it for last 2 years), but I always appreciate all the respondings and remarks. I think I went through all the topics here, and I know nicknames of the people here who are so active for years here. Sometimes I see them responding for my posts which is amazing. It sounds strange because we naver talked or anything but I feel here like among friends :) So thank you for that
Ok, let's make some comments on Double Exposure:
- when Bart Kepple (Dr.!) is reading narration, he stops and in the same moment his recorder continues this narration. How did hecoordinate that with time? Plus he spoke to the microphone, and the recorder lays far away from it. Whould it be possible to hear it?
- all the other people in the audience saw this subliminal cuts, there was a risk that not only Vic will go drinking(I know he was the only one eating caviar but still)
- and once again, when he came back to continue narration, he is there at exact proper time, in perfect second. It always bothered me
- always funny when I see Columbo eating caviar and leave this spoon in the bowl :D
- I like the conversation between Columbo and Mrs Norris. I don't know why. Maybe because that it seems they understand each other very well
- I've noticed now that a guy in this "booth" or whatever is it called in English, on the back of supermarket, where they have all this screens, the one which says "Oh no" when Columbo steps on junction box, looks a little like the guy
from "Most Dangerous Match", from Dudek's team (don't remember his name but it was his toothbrush packed in Dudek's suitcase)
- it is a little unusual that the killer is somehow famous man, and Columbo's wife isn't a big fan of him :)
- when Mrs. Norris leaves her house with some girl, Kepple is driving immediately there. He did it maybe too fast, because she still could see him in the car mirror. And do you think it was so easy to break and enter to such an impressive villa, with just using a plastic card as Kepple did?
- I wonder what happend with poor Roger's mother after his death. He said she is sick and obviously he was an only help for her
- again the same guy appear: the one which was a travel agent in Most Crucial Game, and Lovely but Lethal, as an travel agent.
This time he is a part of Columbo's police team
- and immortal question: why didn't Kepple get rid of that converter sooner?
- at the end when Kepple looks at a pictures which Columbo used for subliminal cuts, the picture with the lamp is different,
lamp stays at different place (or maybe it is just reversed)

Re: Double Exposure

Great observations. I've always enjoyed this episode and the banter between Dr. Kepple and Columbo. The way Columbo gets under his skin and i like the concept of subliminal messages ( i think i learned about this in high school in the 80's and the concept always intrigued me )

I agree Kepple had to get lucky with the timing of when he thought Norris might go to the drinking fountain. I wonder if there was a Plan B?

Maybe more comments to follow after i read over your observations again.

Re: Double Exposure

I know Dr. Kepple used a calibration converter (this episode is the first i had ever heard of this- and i've watched a lot of crime shows...i guess i was naive ) but i wondered why he wouldn't use a silencer as i'm sure the people in the theater would have heard the gunshot from the lobby; and when he shot the projectionist, the audience must have heard also.