The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Publish Or Perish

Hi again :) Publish or Perish this time. I remember that when I was younger I didn't like this episode much, but after so many viewings, it grew in my eyes. Now I really appreciate it and enjoy. So here's some comments as usual:
- Eddie Kane is a total creep, I'd say one of the darkest characters at the whole series
- on the party Eileen says "we told Greenleaf today, Allen's contract is up in three weeks", but in previous scene it looks like Greenleaf planned murder with Eddie long before. How could he knew before if he hadn't had motive?
- Greenleaf's alibi is getting drunk in some places. Was he really drunk? if yes, then he could have easily made some mistakes in his alibi plan, if not, it would be somehow proven I guess that he was only pretending
- why does he threat Mallory at the party? That "he will die"?
- unlike the majority on that forum, I don't like the effect of devided screen just before murder happens, not possible to focus properly on any of them
- English language question again: what does it mean what Greenleaf says: "you and this place deserve to be in the Valley"? what does "valley" mean here?
- the conversation between Greenleaf and the couple from Volkswagen (Ralph and his wife); always funny!
- what bothers me everytime here is that Columbo listens to the recording, and immediately after shoot he hears the sound of courtains because of the air flow. But Eddie closed the door and he opened it let's say around one minute after shot. Why on recording the sound is so fast after a shot?
- nice champagne glass Greenleaf got from Eddie :D
- did Greenleaf write the whole outline of a novel in Eddie's appartment? it would take a lot of time I guess
- another English question; Columbo says to Greenleaf that Eddie Kane "was killed" an then he said he died because of bomb accident.
Can you then use a phrase "he was killed"? I thought "being killed" means to be killed by somebody else

Re: Publish Or Perish

good observations. You really put some time into getting down to the nitty-gritty in these cells however I'm going to answer a couple of your points.

First of all I agree with you that Eddie Kane is a complete psychotic idiot. As far as being one of the darkest of the whole series, I suppose he is up there. The word creep is appropriately used to describe him.

Secondly, the use of the word Valley is referring to the San Fernando Valley which is an area about 20 miles north of Los Angeles that always takes the rap in real life and in movies. I used to live there. There's too much traffic, too many people, too much smog, too much industry and it's hotter than blazes in the summer. So that's why it gets a bad rap.

Re: Publish Or Perish

Yes, you can say “he was killed by a bomb”, “he was killed in a car accident”, “he was killed when he slipped and fell”, etc. “He was murdered” is used only when killed by someone else.