The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: An Exercise In Fatality

To add further, since I just watched the episode again, Milo disconnects the bulb to disguise the fact that he's calling from the other room when he puts Gene's recording on. If he hadn't done that, Jessica would have noticed he was on the phone, but to be frank, I'm not sure that would have necessarily messed up his story, since he could have just said he was on another call.

And having said all that about phones and buttons, when Columbo picks up the call from his wife in Gene's office, he DOESN'T push the button! I'm pretty sure that's not how those phones worked! I think someone would have had to put the call on hold and Columbo would have had to push the line button, unless they left the handle off the hook.. :smile:

Also noticed something else in that episode...when Milo put the barbell on Stafford's neck, he only put Stafford's hand and fingerprints on one side. That should have caught someone's attention.

I enjoyed the scene at Tricon. Yes she is annoying and the audience probably feels a little like Columbo is feeling. I like his mannerisms though that he is so perplexed why it's taking so long. In the 70's computers were really taking off and maybe this was a statement on how we were already being overly dependent on them?

Maybe some networks agree with you though as i saw this episode ( i think on ME TV- a cable channel i get in Illinois ) and i was looking forward to this scene coming up and it was edited to death and was way shorter than the original... and i was disappointed.

Mark,

I've noticed many Columbos are available uncut and commercial free at the internet archive (archive.org).

Here's the link to Exercise in Futility:

https://archive.org/details/4.1AnExerciseInFatility

Good to know. Thanks for the link! no pun intended.

Milo's scam was basically "upselling" his franchise owners. The franchise model works by having separate owners for the individual stores with a corporation overseeing certain aspects of the business. For example, your local McDonalds is owned by a private party who is contractually obligated to purchase all food and other supplies directly from McDonalds, or from an approved list of suppliers.

In Milo's case, his list of suppliers were grossly overcharging, allegedly to maintain quality. When Gene Stafford investigated he discovered that the suppliers were all shell companies secretly owned by Milo. That's borderline illegal because it was not disclosed up front.

So Milo was ripping off his franchise owners by overcharging them. As Lewis (Louis?) Lacey said, not strictly illegal, but certainly unethical. If Gene exposed Milo, he could lose all of his investors and ruin his reputation.

I wanted to add to Quid's comments on the old phone systems: When a call was received it would automatically go to Line One. Milo was secretly using Line Two to call himself (as Gene), and that would light up the Line One button. But when his secretary answered, she would notice that Line Two was also lit and that would raise questions. So Milo disconnected the light for Line Two.

As usual, Columbo noticed it. When he saw that all calls to Milo were recorded, he realized how a phony call could be placed, making Gene appear to still be alive. That's why it was important that Jessica was never at Milo's house before and yet, after she answered the phone, Gene said "Hi Jessica". He shouldn't have expected her to be there.

My last rambling note (I love talking about Columbo): How crazy was physical fitness in the 70's? I remember those sweatboxes, fat shaking machines and other nonsense. But Milo, after a vigorous workout, had a breakfast of vitamin tablets and carrot juice.

Yeah i remember the exercise fads in the 70's. Another Columbo references 'Wheat Germ' which i remember as a kid. Is that still a thing?

thank you guys for all the comments and replies. I appreciate them and now it is more clear for me :)

As well as grossly over charging the franchise holders, Milo's companies were not actually making anything of greater quality. They were buying stuff at discount retail prices and then selling it on with a huge mark up.

Milo was then transferring the profits from these transactions into overseas accounts with presumably declaring it to the tax authorities.

The bit uncovered by Lewis was the relatively legal side of the operation. It was the money laundering aspect thst crossed a legal line.

" I have to maintain quality"

Love that!

You can tell from the way he says that to both Ruth and Gene that he's convinced HIMSELF. And maybe it's partly true - he could be a con artist AND committed to "quality."

One of the cleverest things about it is how he lectures Columbo about his eating habits and his cigar smoking. The person investigating the murder he committed is the last person he should be lecturing about his health! But being Milo Janus, he can't help it.