The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
By Dawn's Early Light

Years ago I didn't like this episode, maybe because I am not a fan of military things but now it promoted/upgraded to be one of the best
I enjoy to watch it now
- the beggining is different than every other episode. It has a dark and sinister atmosphere. But the question is - how Rumford knew at this stage that he will want to kill Haynes? it was before their argument
- and having said that, it is lucky coincidence because he said "I'd prefer captain Loomis presided". Could be risky for captain Loomis
- the first word spoken in this episode it at 6:56, I think that keeps the record of the longest time without any word being spoken
- always "funny" for me the pronunciation of the word "colonel". It sounds for me as "coronel"
- just when the murder takes place we can see Rumford standing alone next to some nearby building. Shouldn't such an important person take some special place in this ceremony?
- I love first meeting of Rumford and Columbo. "Officer, you may wish to detain this man, he refuses to leave the area" <-- good stuff :D
- on the day of murder, Springer was assigned to clean the gun. Is that coincidence? or Rumford planned all of that long time ago?
- do you maybe know what was that method of ingestion for cadets? I don't understand that
- we can take a closer look on Lieutenant's notebook here, and there is some drawing of human's head. U think Columbo drawed it himself? :)
- Columbo at girl's school: "I'm looking for a girl" <-- precious :)

Re: By Dawn's Early Light

Hey Matti!

Once again you've raised some interesting questions. I'll try to tackle a few...

Opening: Some have commented they don't like the opening scene - it's like you're sneaking up on the murderer - but I've always thought it set the proper mood of suspense/darkness. The fact that it takes place in Colonel Rumford's kitchen - a plain, simple kitchen, lends the idea of the "ordinariness" of the murderer. He says as much later when he talks about going back home to work on his garden. Quite mundane in other ways. Great scenes do not need spoken words.

Cap'n Loomis presides: Rumford knew that William Haynes would never allow Loomis to preside (Columbo reads him the file from years ago, which Rumford mistakes for Springer's) because he understood Haynes' psychology.

Springer on Gun Assignment: Rumford knew Springer was a careless cadet and would make for a good alibi. If anyone were likely to leave a rag in the gun, it would be a delinquent cadet such as Springer. So, yes, Rumford put him on that detail ahead of time, knowing it would set up an explanation for the rag's presence. If he had really known Springer's patterns, however, he might have realized the risk of doing this, as Springer flew the coup on the evening in question!

You often hear how naive people used to be about everything, but that girl at the school (the first one, not Springer's girlfriend) is automatically suspicious of Columbo, which makes perfect sense. Even if he were in a uniform it would make sense, let alone the way things are. Even his badge doesn't convince her completely.

True, Grant. Just as an aside, she has to be one of the worst actresses in the series. Cringeworthy scene.

I think the plans were set to convert the academy to a co-ed college and there was only one last chance to talk Haynes out of it. A chance so slim that Rumford put his plan in motion. He assigned a delinquent cadet and used reverse psychology on Haynes to make him want to preside over the ceremony. Perhaps Rumford's fight with Haynes excused his not being too close to the ceremony.

I don't know the etymology of the word "colonel", but in english it is pronouced kernel.

In a typical military academy, first year cadets have to do extra things until the older kids consider them peers. There are certain rituals that they have to observe that differ at every school. Apparently one of the rituals at Haynes Academy is a play on words. "Eating a square meal" means to have a balanced diet with meat, veggies, carbs, etc. The cadets were forced to eat their food in a square motion, lifting their fork and moving it at a 90 degree angle to their mouth. That kind of stuff is just for fun. It builds camaraderie and when those kids get older they get to do that to the other kids, lol. Since the episode was filmed at The Citadel (military academy in South Carolina), I wonder if that's an actual tradition there.

This is another classic episode. I almost feel bad for Rumford. He has a lot of good qualities and he hated seeing an undisciplined brat like Haynes destroy his entire world. Even though he got caught, he seemed to have saved the academy, at least for the time being.

Matti
Years ago I didn't like this episode, maybe because I am not a fan of military things but now it promoted/upgraded to be one of the best
I enjoy to watch it now
- the beggining is different than every other episode. It has a dark and sinister atmosphere. But the question is - how Rumford knew at this stage that he will want to kill Haynes? it was before their argument
- and having said that, it is lucky coincidence because he said "I'd prefer captain Loomis presided". Could be risky for captain Loomis
- the first word spoken in this episode it at 6:56, I think that keeps the record of the longest time without any word being spoken
- always "funny" for me the pronunciation of the word "colonel". It sounds for me as "coronel"
- just when the murder takes place we can see Rumford standing alone next to some nearby building. Shouldn't such an important person take some special place in this ceremony?
- I love first meeting of Rumford and Columbo. "Officer, you may wish to detain this man, he refuses to leave the area" <-- good stuff :D
- on the day of murder, Springer was assigned to clean the gun. Is that coincidence? or Rumford planned all of that long time ago?
- do you maybe know what was that method of ingestion for cadets? I don't understand that
- we can take a closer look on Lieutenant's notebook here, and there is some drawing of human's head. U think Columbo drawed it himself? :)
- Columbo at girl's school: "I'm looking for a girl" <-- precious :)
This is my number one episode.

My only reservation is the ' reverse psychology' ploy.
Very risky. And what if it didn't work? Would Rumsford claim he noticed a rag in the cannon?