The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Troubled Waters

Again, one of my favourite episodes, I enjoy from the beggining to the end. This season is Columbo at his best. Some remarks as usual:
- I don't understand the thing with the key. Danziger says he misses one key from his room and captain (or whoever like that) gives him a new one. How that could help him to enter to Rosana's and Lloyd's room? It was not a master key
- the nurse is an "interesting" person :D
- Danziger basically was very lucky with the whole hospital thing. He could have been easily noticed by the nurse, while taking gloves, sneaking out from hospital and then when he returned
- nice shot, he didn't even look at the gun while shooting, plus there was a pillow, and the shot was really precise
- I love this episode, but there is one thing that almost ruins that for me. I said that here before, when Danziger goes to shoot Rosanna,
he changes his clothes, and then after murder he changes them back. How then it is possible that he brought the feather to hospital? Every signle time I'm watching this episode it bothers me
- while going up again on staircase he takes somebody's tray with food. Wouldn't it be noticed by someone?
- I think Columbo speaks here about the same relative he mentioned in Publish Or Perish. He says here about his brother-in-law has got auto repair shop. And the same he says to Greenleaf that his brother-in-law can help with car repairing
- I guess Mrs. Danziger wasn't very happy when she found out what her husband did
- most of the passengers seem to be quite old :P
- Danziger sees that Columbo takes out this pills, or whatever it was (don't know the English word for that), from the pool, from that moment he should know that Columbo will suspect him. So his movement with planting gloves was not so smart
- quite lucky that he found a bag with sand inside of engine room :)

Re: Troubled Waters

Hi Matti,

Regarding the key, when the purser opens the key box to give Danzinger his key, Danzinger looks at the master key and there's a number on the tag. He then consults his Code Book and cuts his own key. I guess the idea is that as a car salesman, he has access to all kinds of key making information.:+1:

hey Quid,

Yes, that makes a lot of sense, thank you

As someone who served in the US Navy and has spent my fair share of time down in the engine room of various ships, the bag of sand is there to soak up any fluids that leak onto the floor. They'll sprinkle the sand on the puddle, let it sit for a bit and then sweep it up. It's much easier to sweep up the used sand than it is to mop up a puddle of grease or oil. No, the thing that bothers me about the engine room scene is the fact that the ship is out to sea and Danzinger was able to walk into the middle of the engine room and out again without anybody noticing him.

Brett, perfect to hear that from you. It also bothers me that he is not seen. You see, my job is to design pipes on ships and mainly in Engine Rooms :) So this subject is close to my heart. But I am only designing, I was never serving on ships, so your description is interesting, thanks!

Yeah, Danzinger panicked when he felt the walls closing in. He thought he could weasel out by hiding the gloves which he thought would take suspicion off him. Little did he know that finger prints could be found inside the gloves.I never thought of that either, Brilliant ending.

One of my favorite episodes despite the elephant in the room. Here is a man after having a heart attack and his wife is never seen with him in his "hospital" room.