The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Murder by the Book - 2 Points

I know nothing about forensics, but I know what you mean by that. Often someone commenting on some earlier story will say "That wouldn't happen NOW." But in a lot of cases, the same thing probably also wouldn't happen THEN. Or at least it wouldn't be that common.

It always amazes me how many killers wipe the gun to obscure their prints but they seldom wipe the shell cases or wear gloves when loading the gun.

Ward Fowler learned that lesson the hard way in “Fade in to Murder”.

Columbo used many new forensic techniques and high tech apparatuses that helped solve the crime and would not solve a crime today. Remember he introduced the Selectric typewriter and caught the killer because of the cartridge ribbon. Killers wouldnt be caught dead with a selectric typewriter today. He introduced the fax machine...now why would a guy fax a joke to his wife if he was planning a suicide. YEP, gotta be murder and the killers print gotta be on the paper. He intro'd the answering machine to get a greedy developer. He showed us a 50 lb cell phone and his understanding of the blackout zone caught Shatner in Shades of Grey. Today the cell phones know what we're plotting and have it recorded before we finish dialing. Let's not forget the fancy cigar cutter. Ah yes, we could go on and on.

Answering machine appeared in RANSOM!