The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Riley Greenleaf or Ken Franklin?

opinion question....Who is more sinister?

Re: Riley Greenleaf or Ken Franklin?

Tough call and an interesting question. I think the fact that Jack Cassidy plays both makes it difficult, he's so similar in all three Columbo appearances. ("Just what IS your problem?"). Ignoring that, I'd go with Franklin.

- Franklin plays the practical joke on Jim at the office and then turns it into the real thing at the cabin.
- Franklin calls the Jim's wife and pretends to be a friend again and minutes later kills her husband.
- Franklin then takes a call from Jim's wife and again feigns friendship, saying it's "Probably just a practical joke."
- Franklin gives Jim's wife a hug and asks for a drink ("Love") upon arriving. This maladroit attempt at expressing his condolences fits in with the original meaning of "sinister", from the Latin "left". Adroit comes from the French word for "right", so maladroit indicates left, or sinister. Which Franklin is definitely.
- The improvised killing of Mrs. LaSanka - sneaking up behind her with the champagne bottle and clubbing her to death in her own house.

Unlike Franklin, who doesn't mind doing the dirty work, Greenleaf leaves the killing to someone or something else. He hires Eddie Kane to kill Alan; he then rigs up an impromptu bomb to kill Kane. He's never in the room when someone dies.

If you really wanted to throw us in a tizzy, ask who is more sinister: Franklin, Greenleaf or The Great Santini. LOL

Franklin probably gets the prize. However Greenleaf killed two people not just one. So it's a toss-up but as was stated before I think Franklin was more sinister. Especially when he got back to Los Angeles and had the gall to try and charm mrs. Farris.

There's also his line about Lily's cautious attitude about getting in a boat with him -
"That hurts me, Lily."

Jack Cassidy is so convincing that even YOU almost believe it.

Customers can expect good value for the cost and a team that is open to suggestions for improvement. brand design company

Customers can expect good value for the cost and a team that is open to suggestions for improvement. brand design company

The team was willing to adapt internal tools and processes, and, despite the time difference, they were very responsive. UI UX design companies