The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grand Deceptions

I have a strange and mixed feelings with this episode. I never liked it, even thought is one of the worst. But the more times I see it, I like it more, unlike most of people on this forum
- I think he would sweat a lot under so many layers of costumes, after commiting a murder, but when he takes them off, he looks like straight from the shower
- it happens very often: when Columbo is talking for the first time with the murderer, the murderer asks "when did it happen?" or something to that effect, then Columbo answers and the murderer says "ah.. and I was doing this and that at that time", to sound like "I was making so simple activities while real tragedy was happening". I think it can always be the first clue to Columbo, when somebody unasked reveals his alibi anyway
- what the heck is this about: "this object that I have in my hand is a flashlight, is that right"? what is the reason for saying that? And why Brailie threw this flashlight away there?
- Columbo looks at the bookstand full of books and he asks "those are the books sir?". Hmmm... what else could it be :)
- Gen. Padget says "we lost a good man last night". So the accident was last night. Looks like Columbo made a lot of activities that day!
- I like the scene (I think the best one in the episode) in "Mr. Dunstan" apartment where Columbo meets Brailie, when he waits for his lover
- and his lover, she sees the car of Columbo and runs out, did she see that car before? how could she have recognized? ... ohhh.. I remember that probably I watch the part she admires his car. So now I played another version of the same episode which I have in my house, and I see that in my DVD this scene is cut! the whole scene where she talks with Columbo about his car... that's strange...
- the church scene? weird, but I like it :)
- Brailie's secretary doesn't seem to be too competent, leaving some confidential report co Columbo
- Columbo steals a lot in this episode = toothbrush, report... :)
- the thing with the boxes. It's tricky. It was discussed here a lot of times. But I don't have problem with capacity of the boxes. My problem is, why the book store sent the books with a cartoon marked as Military Miniatures? and the opposite? that puzzles me! And why Brailie didn't just throw away this cartoons?

Re: Grand Deceptions: BOOK and MINIATURES boxes

Q: Why the book store sent the books with a cartoon marked as Military Miniatures? and the opposite? that puzzles me! And why Brailie didn't just throw away this cartoons?

Not shown, but Brailie stenciled the books box with MILITARY MINIATURES to fool everyone into believing the toys had just arrived. He kept the BOOKS box just to go along with his ruse.

For me to review this episode is not fair because I never liked it

I’ve never seen this obvious but perfect explanation! I’ve wondered the same thing.

Re: Grand Deceptions

Our client’s period much different industry sectors as well as varies from little shop companies to worldwide corporations brand marketing agency