The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Murder, a Self Portrait

For this episode I made a separate topic long time ago. Because for me it is definately one of the worst. It is painful for me to watch (even if there are some good moments). After the No Time To Die and Undercover (which I never watch, for me it is just not Columbo), this is the worst ever. Even the good things (Vito Scotti, nice weather, nice surroundings, beaches) don't save it for me
- even the very beggining is one of the worst for me, because I was never a fan of Colubmo's dog
- all this triangle (or even square??) is so unbellievable to me that it is ridiculous. I can understand - cheating husband, cheating wife, secrets etc... but here? all three women live like it is totally natural. All of them accept each other and all of them praise/admire Barsini, even though it is so obvious that he is just a jerk! It makes no sense to me at all
- the dinner/supper scene... so ridiculous for me! it's such an exaggeration, that at first time I was sure that some kind of Max's dream is shown. That all three women are serving him with a smile on their face, but then I realised it was not any dream. So strange
- conversation at that dinner? next unbelievable thing for me. This episode is full of that
- Barsini is one of the most disliked killer by me, his attitude, being jealous of this psychologist etc. He annoys me with literaly everything he's doing
- a good moment is when Vito asks Columbo if Barsini is going to paint him nude :)
- even the way Barsini pronounces "lieutenant" annoys me, but in this case I can not judge if it is correct or not
- next thing I really don't like here are this dreams. It is some fictional plot, it is not reliable to me that you can solve a crime basing on dreams. Plus the way they are filmed, I don't like it too. It would be very nice piece of work for other kind of movie, but Columbo? I don't buy it. And Columbo's conclusions are also far fetched. Especialy this monockl. "how is my uncle in french?" "mon oncle", how clever must have he been to come up wit this idea!
- isn't it Bruce Kirby who plays that old man knocking to door in the dream??
- Julie makes this episode better :)
- Vanessa and Julie drink some alcohol in sauna. I think alcohol kept in this temperature would not be tasty :P
- I think this is the episode with the most advanced English language. All the time I needed to check some words in dictionary from this one

Re: Murder, a Self Portrait

Carsini would definitely not like the alcohol in the sauna idea. And he ought to know firsthand. But let's go back to Barsini not carsini.

He is one of the most coldest murderers in the whole series. I could not stand his attitude is language the way he treated women. I'm glad to see that he got his in the end. I think I put up a post about 5 years ago with the subject line saying that barsini is a creep and I still feel that way today. As far as it being one of the worst episodes I disagree with that there are several others that I would put ahead of this one as being the worst.