The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo

I still can not make a straight opinion about this one. It definately has its strong points but also (as usual) I don't like being far from normal Columbo formula
- of course, like most of us here, when I saw it for the first time, I thought, how is that possible that famous Mrs Columbo is dead??!
- Vivian is I think most crazy or even psychopathic murderers. Killed one, but trying to kill two another? and only to make somebody suffer, she also completely didn't care about her lover, which she used only for alibi (I'm not saying that the guy was fair of course), and obviously she doesn't feel any guilt that some innocent Connelly guy will be charged for murder
- I'm not sure if I would cover a dead body with my raincoat :P
- how did Vivian know that it will be Columbo who will be attached to the case?
- when Columbo buys an ice cream at the pier, I think the weather changes from very cloudy to more sunny. At least that is my impression. And by the way I like this scene very much, for me one of the best in this episode, when he explains that Mrs Dimitri is the murderer
- they often use the shortcut "DA". What does it mean?
- even if Mrs Columbo doesn't have a full time job, I always wonder how she finds time to make all her activities, which, as we know throughout the whole series, are very diverse, and there are a lot of them!! :)
- Leland says that his wife left him, but she still appears with him on the funeral later. But maybe it was just before divorce or something
- I never liked the scene where she is alone at her house with the pictures of her husband in the background. It is too long for me
- I like Columbo's conversation with Dr. Steadman
- can the recorder really record such a confession from a different room? I have some doubts about it

Re: Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo

DA is short for District Attorney. After an arrest, the DA decides if there is sufficient evidence to prosecute and which charges to charge the suspect with. In Vivian Dimitri's case, the DA would have to decide to try to have Vivian declared insane and sent back to the mental hospital or tried for murder (and attempted murder).

Mrs. Columbo, if everything that we hear about her is true, would be an amazing woman. She can't cook, but she has too many hobbies and interests to mention. She even reads the shipping news (The Conspirators). My personal theory is that Columbo often makes things up to help him dig up info. With Tommy Brown for example, Columbo didn't know Brown's music, so instead he says: "My wife can't get enough of it" (if my memory serves right). That gave Columbo an excuse to ask for a live recording that provided a clue.

The situation with Dr. Steadman was tricky. I'm sure that the doctor doesn't want to see anybody murdered, but he cannot explicitly warn Columbo of the danger without breaking doctor/patient confidentiality. I like the way he danced around the rule without specifically mentioning Vivian.