The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ashes to Ashes strange observation

I found it very interesting when mrs. Houston is at Verity Chandlers house. She asks Columbo if she could have a cocktail. Columbo replies just don't touch the scotch.

Ironically, she takes a glass opens up the Ice Cube bin and puts a cube in her glass and then fills it up with whiskey. Question. Who put the ice in the bin? And why? Certainly it hadn't been there since the night before it would have melted.

Re: Ashes to Ashes strange observation

Good questions! The scotch comment always bothered me, too. Are the bottles shaped differently to tell the drinks apart? Color? I'm not sure how Ms. Houston knows the difference (I don't drink, so I wouldn't really know).

(1) As to why Columbo says no scotch - I think he examined a drinking glass when he first arrived at the scene? Maybe he recognized scotch in the glass and wanted to keep the bottle clean for prints? (But then, why not keep the entire set clean for prints?)

(2) Ice in the bin - Why is it there and who put it there? I'd say the answer is simple: "Because the script says so". However, I noticed something similar in "Prescription: Murder", when Columbo and Dr. Flemming go back to his office and Flemming offers him a drink; he, too, puts some ice in the glass. Yet, the bar and the ice have been there all day without melting???