The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wilfred Hyde-White

Wonderful and internationally known actor. I would love to have seen him have more roles in the Columbo series. However, because of his nature, I do not think he should have been cast as a murderer. He did pass away in the early 90s but there was plenty of episodes that he could have been in in the seventies or eighties.

So what are other fans' thoughts?

Re: Wilfred Hyde-White

I haven't seen it in some time, but he's very good in MY FAIR LADY. I think he has the famous line "By George, I think she's got it!"

I'm not sure about other COLUMBO roles, but he could've had some good ones.

If you mean roles that other actors had, it's easy to imagine him as British characters, of course. Like Raymond in "Forgotten Lady," the captain or the purser or the doctor in "Troubled Waters," or even Adrian Carsini.

It just occurred to me, but even though the character isn't supposed to be British, he might have made a good David Lang. I can kind of imagine him making those "catty" remarks about Viveca in place of Vincent Price!

Grant excellent choices for him. I especially agree with the fact that he would have made a great Butler in Forgotten Lady. He would also be a great funeral parlor assistant in Ashes to Ashes working with Prince ( P. McGoohan.)

I was reading about Vincent Price and I was quite surprised to find out that he’s not British. He’s from St. Louis and went to Yale. A lot of actors back then practiced a “midlantic” accent so that they could work in either the U.S. or U.K. The midlantic dialect is interesting because it didn’t occur naturally, it was taught in theater and elocution classes and only spoken by certain types of entertainment professionals.

So that’s why Price sounded British.