The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Meaning of a fraise

In an episode of Columo; "Any old port in a storm", Carcini says; " Freedom is purely relevant.
What does that remark mean? Does it mean to him not being pressed in a relationship is important or in connection with him, also being caught for murder, the optimum connection with anything is "freedom", the estate of being unfastened?

Thanks
Paree

Re: Meaning of a fraise

He says that freedom is “relative”, not “relevant”. He is comparing life in prison to being married to Karen for the rest of his life. He wouldn’t have his freedom in either case. He would rather be free from Karen than free from prison.

Thank you. Though I watch the episodes repeatedly, this one being a favorite of mine, must've picked relevant instead of relative naturally being used in this fraise, focusing mainly on the word "Freedom". He sounded overwhelmed appallingly of Karen's interest in him on the occasion.

Is it just me or did Karen get prettier as the episode went on?

I think so too.
Of course, Julie Harris was always what could be called "plain" but not really unattractive in the first place. But yes.

The odd thing is, this story isn't the only time Donald Pleasence is blackmailed into marriage (or almost blackmailed into it in the case of this story). There's a dark comedy I barely know called ARTHUR? ARTHUR! where it happens to him after a killing.

Re: Don Pleasence/in the episode

He was a very good actor, always seemed (the core personality behind his acting), claustrophobic type, a bit stiffly cautious and or guarded. But 2 ironically important areas in this particular episode, I felt or found related to this actor in it, was one, it presented Columbo to sincerely like him and find him a nice harmless uncomplicated man? Second, I found (I could be wrong), unlike some bad-guy characters in the series, played more than once, he played only in this? Anyway, just like most of the 70's episodes being well made with more developed stories, this one was well made.