The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: " Shooting Columbo".

According to the author of the book , he put that idiotic tuba scene in also.
The emphasis on comedy is probably the single element that most harmed the revival.
Highly recommend.

UGH! Tell me no more, Bruce Marshall. This is so disappointing to hear. I mean, it's only a TV show, but it's still a shame we could have better quality latter episodes were it not for (apparently) Falk's ego.

John
UGH! Tell me no more, Bruce Marshall. This is so disappointing to hear. I mean, it's only a TV show, but it's still a shame we could have better quality latter episodes were it not for (apparently) Falk's ego.
One thing that was NOT Falk's fault; the increase in commercials.
I stopped watching live and taped the episodes so I could fast forward thru the pace killing breaks!

Yes, I saw "Murder Under Glass" was on TV the other night. It was unbearable. There were at least six commercials before the dining room scene with the Geishas at Paul Gerard's house. Then came another set of commercials and I turned on my DVD. It's why the Complete Set is such a good move.

The biggest horror story involving a 70s episode involves "Old Fashioned Murder." That always came off as unsatisfying and now we know the reason why. Falk allowed a crony, Elaine May, to basically take over the whole production of that episode and there was endless tinkering, rewriting, etc. that made production stretch out forever. The "Lawrence Vail" writing credit was really Peter Fischer taking his name off the original script that he felt had been ruined completely.

I always felt that Old Fashioned Murder was one of the most boring shows in the series. The characters were dull and uncharismatic,

The plot is very similar to Playback, but not nearly as good.

The book is definitely worthwhile reading. It certainly casts a different light on Peter Falk. A lot of what prevented more episodes from being made was his own doing. He allowed the show to go way over budget by disregarding shooting schedules, spending multiple extra days reshooting and “perfecting” scenes. He hired his friends without permission and allowed them to interfere with scripts. And he was responsible for much of the excessive humor. I agree with what has been stated that the lesser Columbos are still decent, but it is a shame that certain things could have been so much better.

Look at the bright side.
We got two, maybe three more classic episodes from the reboot
WOLF
AGENDA
BUTTERFLY

Ill take it!😁

Elaine May?

I'm confused because I've never seen or heard her name mentioned in the episode or any other. Her daughter Jeanne Berlin is in the episode.

Elaine May?

I'm confused because I've never seen or heard her name mentioned in the episode or any other. Her daughter Jeanne Berlin is in the episode.

You have to read the book for the details. Her behind the scenes control of the episode on all levels (which was all Falk's doing) is the reason why her daughter is in the episode among other things.