The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Suitable for framing heritage question

Edna tells Columbo something about Rudy wanting his paintings to be appreciated by “the people”. Edna would be a better caretaker of the paintings while Dale would be more selfish. But I’m not sure what motivated Rudy to this conclusion. Did Rudy have a change of his own attitude regarding how the paintings should be appreciated or did Dale do/say something that caused concern for Rudy? I don’t think the episode clarifies this.

Indeed, it doesn't, I watched it again recently, it could've gone either of the 2 ways you mentioned, to me it's very strange that he changed his mind just 10 days before being killed, so perhaps it was indeed to do with dale, a shame that there wasn't a further clarification in the movie about this.

I think it's clear from Edna's discussion with Columbo that she's been separated from Rudy for a while due in part to her infidelity. However, more recently they had become friends (again though not lovers) as they were both older and wiser.

Rudy had grown tired of the collecting, buying and selling art for the price of it and had come to realise that it wasn't the value of the art but seeing the beauty of it that mattered. Rudy and Edna were in the process of trying to decide which places such as schools, museums and galleries were worthy of having a part of the collection.

Dale simply wanted to own the collection to further his own wealth and influence in the art world. He was everything his uncle had come to dislike in the art world.