The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Poker Face" on Peacock: Female Columbo???

No interest. Just about every current crime show has female law enforcement lead characters - police chiefs, sheriffs, detectives, DAs, prosecutors, judges. Call me names if you want, I don't care. I only want to see men in most of these roles. That's why I stick to the 1970s shows.They are much better anyway.

Columbofan, I respect your opinions as always, and of course there will never be another "Columbo" -- there is just one. But about this new show, in its own right, I will say that me and the wife (that's Mrs Kerin) are enjoying it so far (first 2 episodes) and we look forward to more. It seems to be blowing up in the media as a critical success, and never without the comparison (for what it's worth) to "Columbo," so there is also the possibility that it may spark some curiosity on the part of new viewers to check out the real thing, so that is something else good that may come from it.

Ted Kerin, do you have an email address that I could reach you at? I'm writing for the Columbophile Blog site and have a question or 3 for you about Jeff Cava.
Thank you!

She is not law enforcement, and in no way is this show 'WOKE', so give it a try.

She doesn't have the enjoyable mannerisms of Columbo, but it's entertaining to watch the "howcatchem" format again, for sure.

The show is unique in that right after the murder is shown, it flashes back to BEFORE the murder, and shows how the main character CHARLIE is connected to the victim.

Not being a detective, I immediately thought "OH NO, here's another MURDER SHE WROTE female who encounters death every single week of her life", LOL. OK so there's that. But at least she's "on the move", so it's not like there's a murder every week in sleepy Cabot Cove, MAINE!

I just watched the first episode and all I could think about is how similar the format is to Columbo.

At one point, at 46 mins in, when she goes to the bar, the “This Old Man” tune is playing on the slot machines. Cant be a coincidence surely?

I really enjoyed it. I hope the rest of the series keeps the same formula.

Im going to watch episode 2 tomorrow.

Welshdragon I just watched Episode 1 and I missed the "This old man"; I will have to rewatch. I was watching closely for Columbo mannerisms and she doesn't seem to emulate many, but I'm enjoying the show, just from the COLUMBO credits font, and "howcatchem" format!