The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Columbo Coming to Blu-Ray!

One small detail I'd like to see added: I've seen "The Conspirators" on TV several times and each time it had the wonderful Irish score playing alongside the scene where Columbo crosses the bridge in pursuit of the Ilkan Tak, as it absconded with the guns. When I purchased the DVDs I was disappointed that the music wasn't there. It makes that scene SO much better.

I've been in contact with one of the producers of this set.
I asked him about the music problems with THE CONSPIRATORS. He is aware of it and is making every effort to acquire a complete print.

The one extra I most desire is the ORIGINAL ninety minute version of ETUDE IN BLACK. This version was aired in Canada and included in the Japanese bluray box set. They are attempting to include this coveted rarity.

Can't wait!

I've never heard of this version of Etude in Black. What else can you tell about it?

Also, how did you get in touch with a producer of the set? That's pretty cool. Thank you for checking with him!

John
I've never heard of this version of Etude in Black. What else can you tell about it?

Also, how did you get in touch with a producer of the set? That's pretty cool. Thank you for checking with him!
" Etude in Black" was scheduled as the first aired episode of season two.
All the first season episodes were ninety minutes.ETUDE was written, filmed, and completed as a ninety minute episode.At the last minute NBC decided - for financial reasons- that they wanted it to be a showcase, TWO-hour premiere. This necessitated shooting additional scenes to extend the running time. The most obvious being where Lt.visits Benedict at home and talks property values etc.
The original , shorter version was sent to the Canadian tv network and that version was broadcast there.

Many years ago I published an article about the MUSIC for COLUMBO so have been in contact with folks who produce books and DVDs about the show

Update:
Commentary tracks are being recorded by Scott Skelton and Mark Dawidziak.
I was asked to record a short segment discussing the music for RANSOM FOR A DEAD MAN.

More to come!

Release date is now listed as November 21.

I am hoping that among other things we might see the Mystery Movie openings restored.