The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Episode with a teenage perp?

Considering the popularity of teen movies (including thrillers and horrors) in the 90s, I wonder did anyone ever consider making a Columbo episode with a teenage perp in the later seasons. The closest we got was "Columbo Goes to College" (putting aside the fact that the actors were clearly in their late 20s/early 30s).

It might have been interesting (and hilarious) to see Sarah Michelle Gellar or Jennifer Love Hewitt try to pull it off. SMG maybe playing a character similar to Kathryn Merteuil from "Cruel Intentions". That one might actually make the most sense, because all the killers that Columbo catches are rich and powerful, with a reputation at stake, and that is unlikely for a teenage character; but in this case, it would work.

I know it doesn't makes sense, since I don't think most teenagers in the 90s watched "Columbo", and there is no point to having Columbo pander to the popular culture (if anything, many complaints about the later seasons are that the look and feel of them seems too flashy and vulgat compared to the 70s episodes). But considering how many later episodes rehashed earlier plots, who knows. It would have definitely been memorable either way.