The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Blu-Ray Specs

Well we now have some very bad news. Kino has just announced that ALL of the commentaries planned for this release will not appear. That basically makes this a no-frills release for all intents and purposes because the shorter version of "Etude" is not something that was high on my priority list compared to hearing some good insights on favorite episodes. I have to assume that Universal was responsible for these getting pulled and if that was the case, then I REALLY have to assume that they didn't want to hear the dirty laundry aired about Falk's behind the scenes behavior that came to light in greater detail recently in David Koenig's book.

I will still get it for the remastered picture quality, but this is very deflating news on all levels for me.

And bad enough there aren't any commentaries but the isolated music/effects tracks for each episode are out as well. Those of us who for years wanted to hear SOME of the scores clean for the first time (when there aren't sound effects) are left screwed as well.

If I were a lot younger and had some more energy in me, I'd be boycotting this release at this point.

I just had this terrible news confirmed by someone who recorded MULTIPLE
commentaries ( one of which included a short commentary by yours truly).

Kino gave no explanation.
I sold seasons three thru seven in anticipation.
TBH I could care less about the " improved picture quality".
I want the extras. Even the inclusion of my coveted ETUDE IN BLACK may not be incentive enough to buy this no- frills edition.

Really sad.

I'm giving stronger consideration to passing on this as well. In fact, Kino I think would be well-advised to cancel this release outright until something can be worked out to put these bonuses back in.

Eric Paddon
I'm giving stronger consideration to passing on this as well. In fact, Kino I think would be well-advised to cancel this release outright until something can be worked out to put these bonuses back in.
Yeah.
I kept volume one which includes the two movies, just in case this didn't happen.
Smart move on my part.
I'll ask my library to get this so I can watch ETUDE. Or, see if I can borrow it from a friend. This set just aint worth it without the extras. Nobody watches COLUMBO for its visual splendor; bluray wont improve the viewing experience one bit.