The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Boycott The Blu-Ray Release

You can watch very clear copies of the episodes on free streaming services like Tubi and Freevee. I rarely even bother with my old DVDs anymore. It's a lot easier to click a few buttons to get the episode you want immediately versus digging out the DVDs, finding the disk, putting it in the machine, waiting for the menu screen, etc. A lot less cumbersome and great picture/sound quality.

All of you fans who depend on streaming are at the mercy of the giant corporations that control the content. Plus, many services edit programs and contain commercials (or , will in the future).
There is no guarantee that what you want to watch will always be available.
Physical media is the way to go. It's very easy to play a DVD if you have a brain😉

Everything has its pros and cons. I didn't say playing a DVD was hard, just a pain. And the episodes on Tubi and Freevee are not edited and only interrupted by occasional ads. Yes, they may not be available forever, but it wouldn't be long before they turn up somewhere again. In the meantime, I would have my old DVDs to tide me over. Something else interesting that I have noticed on the episodes available for streaming that are not always on the DVDs are the original spots where commercial breaks once were. Oftentimes on the DVDs, the spots where a commercial break would have been are skipped over so it plays straight through like a movie. I think it's interesting to know when in the episode the commercials played during the original airing.

The music/effects tracks are apparently still a go, but that hasn't changed my mind. I'm not getting this on the day its released. Maybe if I see it marked down to its true value which would mean well under $50 I'd be inclined but this set is totally unworthy of a premium price since it lacks premium content on all levels.

Further proof that the actors/writers strike is the culprit for this mess. I was down at the "Dragon Con" convention in Atlanta and all of the guests scheduled for panels could NOT talk about any part of their acting careers. Instead they could only be asked generic fluff questions. And they couldn't sign autographed pictures of them in character or costume from their shows.