The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: You know you-re really addicted to Columbo when...

In my family, when conversation accidently or on purposly brings up a quote from the show, someone always stops and asks "Which Columbo is that from?". For example, one of my daughters is now taking driving lessons, so we are always making jokes about Columbo's meeting with Mr Weekly, the driving test man in "Negative Reaction", e.g. "always watch the right", "it's called defensive driving", "I'm hot, irritable!", and one of the best, which comes up a lot is "these people mean nothing to me!"
Or how about the line from "Stitch in Crime" when Columbo goes to Dr Mayfield's party and is offered a hors d'ouevre by an ingratiating hostess "try them, they're delicious"! Pretty much all the normal consversation of daily life can be found by culling all the episodes.

Re: Re: Re: You know you-re really addicted to Columbo when...

You know you're really addicted to Columbo when you are watching the movie "Mary Poppins" and hiss when Dick Van Dyke's character appears.

Re: Re: Re: Re: You know you-re really addicted to Columbo when...

You hear through one of the many media outlets about someone being arrested for committing a crime, particularly, murder. In the media report you learn of some bonehead mistake the criminal made that led to their being caught. Your first reaction is "If that jerk would have seen (insert Columbo episode here), he might have gotten away with it!"

Re: You Know You're Really Addicted to Columbo When...

Returning home from the workplace, one speeds into the house, grabs the remote, plays the requisite recorded episode of Columbo and doesn't move from the sofa - despite the wan, hungry, yearning expressions of your children, spouse and pets.

Re: You know you-re really addicted to Columbo when...

1:When you log onto this site every day.

2: When you see C.S.I or some other crap and continually compare it to Columbo (much to your friend's/ family's annoyance).

3: When you're sitting on the bus and you try to observe things about people and make subtle inferences about their lives; what do they do, are they in a relationship, what's their character like.

LOL about the Mary Poppins one.

You know you're really addicted to Columbo when you have hung a picture of the lieutenant among all the other family photos on the wall.

You know you're really addicted to "Columbo" when you actually realize how many times he has needed a pencil during the series. (If anyone knows this number, please let me know. Seems to be very habitual, from "Prescription: Murder" to the ABC years, though I never bothered to count.)

Oh, for fun, let's list them!

1. You already listed "Prescription Murder," in which he borrows a pen from the doctor and uses it as an excuse to go back to the office.

2. In "Any Old Port," he borrows a pen from one of the three wine enthusiasts (i almost called them winos).

3. In "Ransom," he shows up at the Williams house looking for his pen on the front porch.

That's all I can think of now. Hmmm....

Other things Columbo loses:

1. the piece of paper with K and the Mercedes number in "Make Me a Perfect Murder"

2. his wife in "Troubled Waters

3. his notebook (briefly) in "A Deadly State of Mind"

4. his new coat in "Now You See Him" (but that was sort of on purpose).

The lack of a pencil thing stretched into the ABC years as well. It happened in "Columbo Goes to College" while he was on the phone and supposedly needed to write down information about the car. Ironically, this is the very scene of the episode in which he sets his trap to catch the killers.

You know you're really addicted to Columbo..and this forum...when you start to write Headache's unsolved puzzler quotes down on little scraps of paper and you keep those little papers in you jeans' pocket so wherever you are and whatever you are doing you can always have them with you if you get a burst of insight and inspiration as to which episode they come from.

You know you're addicted to "Columbo" when you notice that every other episode of "Highway to Heaven" has at least one guest star who has guest-starred on "Columbo."

Re: Re: Re: You know you-re really addicted to Columbo when...

It took me forever to think of this, but I can't see a watch or clock that's five minutes fast without thinking of Bert Remsen's watch in "Fade Into Murder."

Laura, I am laughing so hard at your picture response and I am at work and people think I am crazy!!! OMG that was tooo toooo tooo funny

ok you know your are addicted to columbo when you find your self writing a letter to the Hallmark execs cause they have cut the usual 2 columbo sunday episodes down to only one and you want to know "what the heck that is all about" they should have bumped it up to 3 or 4.

copy of letter to follow: