The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Columbo Quote Puzzlers #34, 35, 36, 37, 38 & 39

Lets get these suckers over with, eh? Here are the next six Columbo Quotes Puzzlers.

Which are the true Columbo quotes and which murderer did he say it to? Which episode is it from? Which is the fake quote?

----------
#34:

"I'm affraid I can't allow you leave until I get just one more."

-OR-

"Well, actually I think she knows less than she's telling."

----------
#35:

"Maybe I'm trying to make something mysterious out of something that's open and shut just to sort of fit in with this room."

-OR-

"It could use a new set of tires. Otherwise, it's mechanically sound. Well, pretty much. Gee, how'd that happen?"

----------
#36:

"Oh, you're gonna enjoy this. I promise you. You're gonna love it."

-OR-

"Uh, nothing special. Just a napkin from the kitchen."

----------
----------
----------

#37:

"But you know, somebody's been murdered. And you know what they tell me? They tell me folks around here, they kind of enjoy that sort of thing."

-OR-

"Oh, no. No, no. No, sir. We're not allowed to do that sort of thing. That'd be very risky. Very risky."

----------
#38:

"That was very clever of you. I was stumped on that one for awhile."

-OR-

"That first day, I couldn't give a hoot in hell about a thief."

----------
#39:

"It's in my hankerchief. Yeah, there she is."

-OR-

"This is it right here. There's the little devil."

----------

Go at it dear friends! The concluding Columbo Quote Puzzlers are coming very soon. And then... Boy oh boy, just you wait! (Yes, that's right. Headache has more silly stuff planned. But you'll love it. I promise. Well, I think you will. Maybe not. Then again... )

Re: Columbo Quote Puzzlers #34, 35, 36, 37, 38 & 39

#34.."Well, actually I think she knows less than she's telling." That is from A Stitch in Crime...And is said to Dr. Mayfield about Marsha Dalton, Sharon Martin's roommate. He says this to Mayfield in the lab.....and I always found it a very funny line.
As far as what is coming up next...well...I will miss the quote thingy when it is gone...but I am sure you will not disappoint on your next endeavor Headache.....terrific!!

The "hoot in hell about a thief" quote is from Mind Over Mayhem, to Dr. Cahill. Columbo says he was looking for a cigar smoker...."and there you were."

Re: Re: Columbo Quote Puzzlers #34, 35, 36, 37, 38 & 39

I think 37, the quote about people around here enjoying that sort of thing, might be from Dagger of the Mind.

I think Nicholas states something afterwards about most people, including Columbo, having dreadful taste.

You always do it Cassa...You get the only one I know straight away. Actually, this time I knew two, but then Laura went and got the other one. Soon, no one is going to believe me when I say that the only ones I know are the ones which people have already got

Sorry Paul....But I believe you....I know you knew the answers!!

I think #35 is ..making something mysterious out of something that's open and shut....is from Old Fashioned Murder...said to Ruth Lytton..when Columbo is pondering the murders in the museum room.
And # 36 ...just a napkin from the kitchen....is from Now You See Him...said to The Great Santini..about the napkin that was placed over the body of Jesse Jerome.
And by the way...does anyone know why Santini placed that napkin there? I never understood that.

34. The "knows less than she's telling" line is from "A Stitch in Crime."

35. I thought that the "new tires" line was from "Etude in Black," though unsure.

36. "You're gonna love it" seemed to be the true Columbo quote. Not sure of the episode.

37. The "enjoy that sort of thing" line is from "Dagger of the Mind."

38. The "hoot in hell" line is from "Mind Over Mayhem."

39. "Yeah, there she is" is from the classic ending of "Candidate For Crime."

Now David, if #35 was from Etude in Black wouldn't you think that I would have known that?????

Not necessarily. I do not have every line to "The Most Dangerous Match" memorized even though I am a chess player.

Well sadly David I have Etude etched upon my brain!!!!

Now watch what is going to happen....when Headache posts the last of the quotes, and he does one from Etude, I am probably going to get it wrong!!!

Some interesting guesses. And loads of correct answers. Here are those correct answers again.

#34:

"Well, actually I think she knows less than she's telling." This hysterical line is indeed from "A Stitch In Crime".

----------
#35:

"Maybe I'm trying to make something mysterious out of something that's open and shut just to sort of fit in with this room." Columbo said this to Ruth Lytton in "Old Fashioned Murder" after waiting all afternoon to speak with her while she wasted away the day up in her office wondering why Columbo and the other cops were spending so much time at the museum investigating the double homicide.

----------
#36:

"Uh, nothing special. Just a napkin from the kitchen." Yes, this is from "Now You See Him". Santini had put the napkin over Jesse Jeromes face to make the murder look more like a professional "hit". Assassins do that sort of thing all the time, Cassa.

----------
----------
----------

#37:

"But you know, somebody's been murdered. And you know what they tell me? They tell me folks around here, they kind of enjoy that sort of thing." Yes, this quote is from "Dagger Of The Mind" - although I've heard this spoken at Columbo conventions as well. HAH!

-----------
#38:

"That first day, I couldn't give a hoot in hell about a thief." Columbo does indeed say this to Dr. Cahill right at the end of "Mind Over Mayhem".

----------
#39:

"It's in my hankerchief. Yeah, there she is." Yes, Columbo is talking about the bullet he dug out of the hotel room wall in "Candidate For Crime".

---------
The final Columbo Quotes Puzzlers are coming very soon!

Excellent questions as usual, Headache. Thank you!

Ditto laura.

And Headache thanks for the info on the napkin thingy. I have never heard of that before. I haven't been hanging out with too many professional hitmen these days!