The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Columbo: Last Salute To The Commodore

YM....I agree with you totally...but look at the episodes you cited....they are all from the later years of the original 45....and I won't even get into the newer Columbos..............what the heck happened???.....Last Salute was definitely a deviation from the normal....but Peter's performance as Columbo was even further from the normal Columbo....(and if you look on that other thread..the Lt. Columbo thread...well..I don't believe it is my Peter...so I can feel free to say whatever I want here!)......his performance was way too over the top...and I love him so much and it hurts to have to say this stuff.....but where the hell were the directors????????? I think he needed a dose of Cassavetes!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Columbo: Last Salute To The Commodore

You are correct that they are all later
episodes, however I must admit that the
finale, "The Conspirators" had Columbo
return to the modest detective we all love
so much.
BTW-The British certainly could use someone of his talents now to track down those responsible for the heinous attacks that occured there. It seems they have very little evidence although the suspects are probably known.

You are right about The Conspirators...it seems he came back down to earth again.

More importantly, it was such a tragedy what happened in London. I am praying for the families affected by this senseless act...

Hi, I think it needs to be noted that there could be a reason why this particular episode is so shoddy (my apologies to those who've enjoyed it, but my feeling is that this one is bobbins). If memory serves me correctly, it was directed by Patrick Macgoohan, and he has been known to take liberties with scripts. He directed the final episode of The Prisoner with the same callous disregard for the form, style and substance of that series, and methinks he did the same with Columbo.
Or maybe not; that's my excuse anyway.
Incidentally for our non-English Columbophile friends, bobbins=rubbish.
Ta ra,
Sita xx