The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Did you ever just take a break from work and realize you love Columbo?

I'm 30 years old, pretty active (play music in bands, do a lot traveling, very much still enjoy amusing myself when I'm not working) and I still remember, to this day, the day my mother first introduced me to Columbo. The first episode I ever watched was "A Friend In Deed" and to me, it was amazing. There were no car chases, no goofy cops or stunt men, just an intriguing story that made you think. The fact that it was a "Howshegonnacatchhim" as opposed to a "Whodunit" really intrigued me as well. I must have been 12 years old.

Here I am, nearly 20 years later, and I still feel like a little kid watching Columbo for the first time. There's a sense of peace I get watching Columbos, I can't really explain it. All I can say is that I never watch Columbo if I'm stressed out or in a bad mood, I have to be in good spirits (which is most of the time) because I always want to ENJOY the experience.

I also can only watch Marx Bros. movies when in a good mood, but then, only in a GREAT mood, like the night before an exciting trip.

But with Columbo, there's also something about that time period - the early and mid 70's - and the imagery captured in those films that gets me every time. The "new" episodes (those after the original 7 seasons) don't really do it for me. They're great stories, but they don't take me to same place that the others do.

Anybody else experience this?

Re: Did you ever just take a break from work and realize you love Columbo?

I sense that you and I are rare, being Columbo fans younger than 40 years old. Am I wrong?

Re: Re: Did you ever just take a break from work and realize you love Columbo?

Hey, you're not the only ones -- I have all but two episodes on tape and an soon to be 30 years old!

My first episode was also taped fro me by my mom -- it was "Lovely but Lethal." I have to admit I wasn't too impressed, but years later I saw "Etude in Black" and fell in love.

Re: Re: Re: Did you ever just take a break from work and realize you love Columbo?

I am 26 and became a Columbo fan when I was 19. Columbo is a show with appeal for anyone who likes a good puzzle and an engaging exercise in logic.

I was watching columbo and really enjoying it (i always remember watching troubled waters and columbo goes to the guillotine when i was about 11 on the bbc. It never fades like the A-team.

God bless,

Matthew

Ok....so i guess i am an old bag at 46?!?!?! ..(but i will tell you..i am still cute)......... i grew up on columbo...and it was fantastic! i always watched it with my parents...and i would lay on the floor with my father..(that is where he always watched tv ) and i just loved it all...so many good memories!
hey shomrig....great that you are back after..what was it?...3 years?? i have only been here a year...but i am trying............i have enjoyed your posts....thank you!

oh shomrig i forgot to mention the bestest part!!
when you said that thing about etude in black and how you fell in love?!.......that made me smile....thanks...

Well I am now 29 but I have been into Columbo since I was about 8. It just never gets boring.

Columbo happens to be my favorite show and I am only 19 years old. Theres something about the 1970s setting that was captured so well by the writers and set designers that I find intreguing even though i was only born in 1985, lol. My parents introduced me to Columbo when i was about 10 years old. They used to watch it when it aired on nbc and then in syndication throughout the 80s and so i guess they passed the torch onto me. We still watch some episodes together sometimes even though I am the biggest fan in the family now. I make sure all of my friends know what Columbo is even though most of them have never heard of it.