The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: "It's for you lieutenant."

I was watching “Requiem For A Falling Star” today and he pulls that on Nora Chandler. It got me to thinking about how many times I’ve seen it on Columbo and there’s definitely a pattern. It’s actually pretty funny from the audience and Columbo’s point of view. It was something that was always there but it just never registered
Some of Columbo’s opponents even betray a hint of irritation or dismay when they answer their phone only to discover the call is from the lieutenant’s wife or (even worse) from the police station. I would find it disconcerting if I had a guilty conscience.

Re: Re: Re: "It's for you lieutenant."

I am not so fast to agree that there is a very deep meaning to this. I believe it was simply a running gag, a humorous part of Columbo's character.

Re: Re: Re: Re: "It's for you lieutenant."

Is this really a running joke. Are these phone calls not just a way of moving the plot along? If Columbo takes a call from his office in front of the suspect then the suspect gets to know how Columbo is slowly closing in on them or how their alibi is slowly being unpicked.

I agree that it has been done to comedic effect - Requiem for a Falling Star is proof of that.

www.20six.co.uk/jiltedbarfly

Re: "It's for you lieutenant."

I think there was deeper meaning to it than just a running joke. Every nuance of Columbo's character and of his actions are put there for a reason. Yes there are times when it was just used as a comedic thing, like how Jilted pointed out, in Requiem, but in that one Columbo called his home..he didn't receive a call.

I think the telephone calls probably first showed up as a way to advance the plot(pre-cell phone) but they turned into a kind of subliminal gag. The telephone call Columbo receives in “Columbo Goes To College” is certainly staged since it gives Justin and Cooper information they use to incriminate themselves.

Re: Re: "It's for you lieutenant."

I always like the fact that, even NOW, Columbo probably wouldn't carry a cell phone. I just got one for the first time today. (And still have mixed feelings about it, just as he would!)

I agree with all the points so far...but in "Requiem," i actually got the impression that Columbo was annoyed with his department for calling at that point and letting Nora Chandler know too soon what department he was from.

When Nora says "which department?!" Columbo makes a slightly exasperated face, and when he gets on the phone with Homicide, he says, "...don't bother me now!"

This thread is so old that even I posted on it!!

Does anyone know of an episode where Columbo does NOT receive a phone call? The funniest one to me was in Murder in Malibu when the housekeeper comes in and she is dismissed by Jess, only to find out there is a phone call or the Lt.

hey paul!