The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Murder Inc.

He was VERY scary as Kid Twist. Hard to believe it's the same actor who was so funny in The In-Laws and so brilliant as Columbo.

Re: Murder Inc.

Isn't it amazing? He was so menacing as Abe Reles...it was unbelievable........he was such a , ok i am going to curse...a b*****d!!! he really was...but what a freakin performance?!?!!?
as i have said, i saw this movie on tv in the middle 60's, when i was just a little girl, and peter's performance in it just hit me so much.....here i was a little guinea girl...and he was playing a jewish mobster...and i could relate!!! and darnit!!he was so cute!
And as far as The In-Laws goes.....it is the bestest comedy out there..that was so terrifically funny...my husband even broke down and got the dvd!!! Serrpentine.....and Tse-Tse-flies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Murder Inc.

so.........here it is, 2 years later and i'm still talking about this movie.

but i noticed something the other night when i was watching Godfather 3, and i just need to share it.......if only to mrs.peck.

in Godfather 3 there is a scene where joe mantegna's character gives a bit of a soliloquy about the topic of greed and "TAKING".........
he says......

"...i asked for little. GOOD! you will not GIVE!! i'll TAKE!!"

and in the infamous & insane scene of peter's in murder inc. his lines were...

"TAKE!! ya see what you can get your hands on ...ya TAKE!! don't ask questions....TAKE!!! what you want..TAKE!! what i want...I TAKE!!"

(that scene of peter's as "abe 'kid twist' reles" still floors me!)

anyway.......there are too many similarities between the 2 scenes to make it just a coincidence.

there is joe in GF3 standing there as if on a stage, just as peter looked in murder inc.
there are the stresses on the word "TAKE" that are so remarkably the same from both actors.
and then there are the hand gestures. my oh my! joe mantegna must have been told by coppola to study peter's performance in murder inc. because they are almost exactly the same.

if you can, watch these 2 movies, or especially these 2 scenes. i am beyond certain that the godfather3 performance was a 'homage' to peter's portrayal in murder inc.
and it was well-deserved.