The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Where were you when?

Yes, I remember. I was at my granparents home. The episode was Bye Bye Sky High IQ. I must have been about 7 or 8 years old at the time. It was great that the whole family watched it together as they too were able to explain a lot of the subtilties which would have been lost on a kid used to watching the A Team!

Re: Re: Where were you when?

I was but a lad of 16 when I saw the rerun of Ransom for a Dead Man sometime during the summer of 1971. I was living at home with the grandparents that raised me. I simply could not believe how good this show was, how complicated. I knew it was going to be part of the NBC Mystery Movie that fall. I could not wait.

Joe

Wow! What beautiful and touching stories guys! Wonderful!
I sadly don't remember the exact moment of when I first saw Columbo but I have been watching since it began....I was around 11 years old....and as I have said here before, my father was a fan of Peter Falk as well as I...and he would lay on the floor to watch tv...big bulky pillow tucked under his head...and he would snap his finger and I would come off the sofa and lay down with him and we would watch it together while my mom and 4 sisters watched from the sofa. There are some wonderful memories there in the glow of that television as we watched Columbo......and I have only learned to appreciate the show more and more as the years have gone on....and also to appreciate those beautiful memories.

As a preliminary to my first-time viewing of a "Columbo" episode, you have to go back to November of 1983. The month marked the 20th anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy and one of the major networks noted the occasion by presenting a miniseries called "Kennedy" with Martin Sheen doing an outstanding job in the title role of John F. Kennedy.

In January of 1985, I noticed in the TV page that there was an episode of "Columbo" to be aired on the CBS Late Night Movie guest-starring Martin Sheen. I immediately recognized Martin Sheen from that mini-series and decided it was worthwhile to tape this episode of "Columbo." And so, within the course of the next few days viewing the tape in parts, "Lovely But Lethal" became my first "Columbo" experience.

Re: Re: Re: Where were you when?

I can remember watching Blueprint For Murder in it's original broadcast. I probably saw some of the earlier episodes also as my mother liked the NBC Sunday Night Mystery Theater (is that the correct title?) and we watched it often. For some reason the closing scene of Blueprint always stuck in my memory. I think it was because I remembered Forest Tucker from F-Troop.
I started watching again in the early or mid 1990's on A&E. I couldn't wait to see Blueprint and Swan Song as that was another episode I recalled watching when I was a kid (yes, my dad was a big Johnny Cash fan).

Forest Tucker and then Larry Storch....both from F-Troop!!....I had a crush on both of them!

I don't remember the first time I saw an episode, but I do remember that I had a serious (maybe diagnosable ) fascination with Columbo when I was between 9 and 13 years old. I imagined that he was a real person in my life, and I used to dream all the time about interactions he had with members of my family. He was this wonderful protector and father figure to me in my imagination and my dreams.

I also used to have dreams that were original Columbo episodes, and they were sometimes so detailed and vivid that I would get confused about whether I had actually seen them on TV. I still occasionally have dreams like that (especially since I started coming to this board and have been watching a lot of Columbo again!). The dream episodes usually make perfect sense while I'm dreaming them, but if I try to write them down in the morning, they always fall apart.

I also remember lying in front of the TV as a kid while the Sunday Night Mystery Movie theme played and getting really annoyed if it happened to be a McCloud or McMillan and Wife night, when I was expecting and hoping for Columbo.

Ok...now I know, laura, that we are clones!!.......wow! what you have said here is how I have felt....how did you know that??....and how did you experience it yourself?? It is truly a wonder.......It is amazing!! The stuff you said here rings so true to what I have been through also..I don't know what to say...........

Cass, you and Laura are not clones. You are schizophrenic. Laura and Cass are two of your three personalities. You are going to be the guest star on the next episode of Columbo. Your third personality is going to kill someone. Cass and Laura are going to be the prime suspects and will try to blame each other. As always, Columbo will get under your skin and make both of you even crazier until you reveal your third personality who Columbo will instantly recognize as the real killer.

The above plot line has been copyrighted by the law firm of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.

well, TFL...thank heavens laura and I didn't commit the murder...it was our evil triplet/clone....what shall we call her???.........Roberta?? Mabel??? Bertha?? Myrtle??...whatever!!!.......but me and laura being clones?...yup, you may have something there....i want to give her a compliment right now..but since i said we were a lot a like i can't do that because i would be complimenting myself too i guess.......(but secretely...laura is great!)
And i don't know if laura and i can get any crazier than we are.....i know i am at the summit...and i think laura would agree she is too.
but hullo!!!! how terrific to mention the 3 stoogies thingy!!! how wonderful was that???? my honey loved it when i told him!!!!
hey...........thanks!!

Cant remember what the first columbo episode i saw was but i remember seeing them on the bbc during weekday afternoons as a kid and loving them. Also remember being freaked out when columbo had his head on the guillotine and it came flying down. The only other episode i remember watching back then was Troubled waters.

About 2 1/2 years ago i was board out of my skull at home and found Murder, smoke and shadows on Granada plus, decided it would pass a couple of hours away and realised all over again how amazing a program it is.

Its only Columbo and The A-team from my childhood that i still really enjoy watching.
Now all i have to do is get over not having seen Murder with too many notes the only one.

God bless,

Matthew

I think Murder with Too Many Notes will be one of those episodes for future study: From what I've seen, fans either like it or hate it. I did see it when it originally broadcast, but want to see again . . . a couple of questions I have about the plot. Some episodes have to "grow" on you I think in order to appreciate them.

Sad to say, I have no recollection of my first viewing of "Columbo". Suffice to say, it was in the early 1970s when I was but a lad. I also recall it later being run on CBS late night Fridays and it was filled - no, not filled - FILLED with commericals. Most likely it was filled with edits too. Perhaps that wasn't on the CBS network though. It may simply have been the local CBS affiliate running it at that time. I do recall where I was when "Columbo" returned to TV on ABC in the late 1980s. I was in front of my television set!

I saw most of the episodes when I was in my late 20's, when they were orginally aired. It was a great way to end a Sunday night after watching the NFL's 2 games. Being single at the time, sometimes I would have other pursuits to entertain myself which caused me to miss an episode or two.

Pursuits?????

Ok Ok, by Sunday night they were already pursued and ......relaxing

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Pursuits?????

You done good Peck!!