The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Who doesn't like Columbo?

Here is what I tell folks who "don't get it".

"Well, you know he is going to catch him".
But that is true of pretty much any crime show.

"If I want to see a mystery program, I do not want to know whodunit!!!"

But that's the point of the show. You witness a "perfect crime" and try to beat him to the solution!

"Real detectives draw their guns five or six times a show, and use them almost as frequently. Like Mannix. And they drive fancy cars. Like Amos Burke. And get into car chases. Like Starsky and Hurch. And have partners, like Reed had Malloy. Not.... dogs, fer crying out loud. And they dress well, like Crocket and Tubbs. And have women dripping off them like Magnum. And get into bloody fistfights like Mike Hammer. What kind of 'tec is this guy?

I can't help you.

Great one TFL!!
A friend of mine who sometimes appears on this forum has told me stories about the fact that he has tried to have a past friend of his, watch an episode of Columbo...How to Dial a Murder.....well....she never did...and that sucked...it sucked for him and it sucked for me when he told me about it.....it meant so much to him.....especially the "Let's run away and be Indians, Charlie" line.....Come on!! that was a great line!!...what is not to love there???? Wouldn't that be so much fun to run away and just be an Indian...not a Native American, as is politically correct right now....just a silly Indian....just as I am a silly guinea!!
As I have said...my Dad was a Peter Falk fan...and now my husband has been inundated with it to the point where he cannot turn back....and my son is always with me...he loves Columbo....he recites lines to me.....I LOVE IT!!.....and he is freakin 17 years old.....but he is my baby!.....and he also appreciates great television!
There are people out there that don't appreciate or even know about Columbo........but we guys here are with our guy, and we are with him......

Frankly, I can't imagine anyone not liking Columbo. I missed the original airings, but during a college class the professor does this amazing Columbo impression... where he sticks his arm out straight and then bends his elbow to scratch his forehead. Anyway, they professor (clearly a hard-core fan) tells us about A&E showing the Columbo shows. By the way, this was like... 15 years ago. So, I watch thinking I can score some kiss-up points , it's great, and I'm sitting here right now 15 years later, watching "Last Salute to the Commodore" for maybe the 8th time, and LOVING IT! Thanks Professor Whoever You Were!

And who could not love Columbo - a man with so much style.

>skelvis

PS - this was my first forum posting so please excuse any stupid communication mistakes. - thanks!

You did great Kelly...and welcome to the forum!
I enjoyed your post about your first experience with an exposure to Columbo and your college professor.........and we would really like to hear more from you in the future.........and again...welcome!

Re: Re: Who doesn't like Columbo?

I suspect those who don't like Columbo are those who've been brainwashed into thinking that all fictional dectectives must fit into certain categories--maybe Sherlock Holmes had something to do with it. Then again, Sherlock has his fair share of eccentricities.

Re: Re: Re: Who doesn't like Columbo?

Actually, I got the same response from each person who expressed a dislike for the character. It was the fact that he was so annoying to his suspects. I tried to explain, that's part of the formula for the character. He is incredibly polite but he gets under the suspect's skin and drives them nuts, quite often with hilarious results.

Kelly, I got a kick out of your description of your college prof with the arm thing. I got a mental picture of Peter Falk standing in front of a classrooom scratching his forehead. Are you the Kelly from Texas who is a Ron Capps fan?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Who doesn't like Columbo?

Hi, TFL,
Different Kelly in Texas. And speaking of annoying the suspect, another aspect of the Columbo formula that I like is that the murderer is always successful in his or her field, usually rich or living comfortably, and usually a full-blown snob but always wonderfully well-rounded, never flat. I think the murderer is accustomed to controlling his or her life, or obtaining control through murder, and it is enjoyable to watch the wrinkled detective slowly work his way under the person's foundation to "rock his or her world." Maybe on some level, that may make some viewers nervous?

Or maybe they just don't appreciate genius! haha!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who doesn't like Columbo?

My dad dislikes Columbo intensely. He has never been able to get over the fact that you know from the beginning who the murderer is. I have explained countless times - that's the point. that's what makes it good. But he doesn't get it. My mum likes a bit of Columbo.

Colleagues at work know that I am a big fan. It seems to amuse them - though given the some of the rubbish they watch they are not in a position to really comment. I did get one to watch Murder by the book. They were surprised by how good it was sadly I have not been able to wean her off Dick van **** and Diagnosis Murder.

www.20six.co.uk/jiltedbarfly

Strange how you cant say dick's surname but you can say say his first name anyhow.

I dont know anyone who doesnt like columbo. Everyone i have mentioned it too says its good. My whole family can easily watch it.

The reason that you know who commits the murder is why i love columbo and cant stand these other detectives. I always sit there for 90 min shouting at the tv (when maybe not shouting) but convinced it was the the maid or whoever and then being really annoyed at the end when it was the butler.
Please Columbo is hilarious and its not a gardener who's got no right being there investigating it and solving it.

Got to calm down lol.

God bless,

Matthew

mat said..."strange how you can say Dick's surname...." very funny mat!!

You see if you type it like this Dick VanDyke...you can get away with it.

And the Columbo format is tried and true. I really detest detective shows that go through the whole thing and leave stuff unrevealed to the viewer, and then at the end they have the detective ramble on about the whole plot and how they solved it....there is a name for this type of format but I don't know what it is. I think Murder She Wrote is a lot like this.

um......I meant "CAN'T say Dick's surname...."

Re: Re: Who doesn't like Columbo?

Yeah, I think Columbo is so popular because he's so authentic . . . authentic in the sense that like every ordinary person, he is superior to everyone else in just one way: He can solve murders. Some of us can repair cars better than anyone in the neighborhood or grow tomatoes better than anyone else in town. So many detectives are depicted as geniuses in every respect--not our man Columbo. But the guy can observe clues and piece it all together!

Though came to my mind. When Columbo needs a pencil for evidence (ie A friend in deed) he has one close by but never when he is questioning a suspect.

Yeah its nice to see that Columbo is regular guy who can solve murders and doesnt have the regular weak spot for woman than most have.

God bless,

Matthew