The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cheapest set?

Hi from the UK, can I suggest a topic for your consideration.
How about the cheapest set from a Columbo episode? My offering would be the UK passport control/luggage office from Series 2, Dagger of the Mind. The set was, to say the least, stark, not much in the way of furniture and fittings!

I am sure you will have better ones, lets have them.

Re: Cheapest set?

Short Fuse. The, uh, "nightclub" where Roddy McDowall and Anne Francis go. A corner of a set, two chairs,a table and some aluminum foil strips on the walls for "wall paper". Did Universal go broke that week or what?

Joe

I would nominate Columbo's office in Now You See Him when he shows Sergeant Wilson the trick with the numbers. And also Columbo's office in Any Old Port in a Storm when he is there at night and Ric's girlfriend comes in to report that he is missing.
And in Lovely But Lethal that office where Viveca throws the red jar out the window....considering how beautiful her own office was, I don't think she would be caught dead in such stark surroundings.

How about in Candidate For Crime when Hayward fires the shot from the balcony of the hotel room through the glass and into the wall. The scenery behind him is clearly a painting of a sky and mountains

Someone here posted a while back that the same backdrop was also used in Prescription: Murder.

Re: Re: Cheapest set?

Hey, Cassa, it was I who mentioned the painted background. And that background is eerily similar to the background from the original black and white "Perry Mason" office scenes.

Sorry Joe....I should have remembered it was you.
I remember now, that after you had posted that I went to my videos and looked at both scenes from the 2 shows and I said...yup he is right!!