The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Comments on "A Friend in Deed"

I beg to differ on the cause of murder for Commissioner Halperin, in my opinion it is obvious, his wife inherited millions of dollars and yet he really did not see much of it and just before he killed her I believe she said something like, afterall it is my inheritance, and then he drowned her.

Re: Re: Comments on "A Friend in Deed"

It seemed to me that Halperin had probably fantasized about killing his wife for a long time, and helping Caldwell cover up his murder presented him with a golden opportunity to plot his own wife's murder.

Re: Re: Re: Comments on "A Friend in Deed"

I heard him say that to his wife, but we are
not shown any real hostility, he just makes
sarcastic comments. Compare this with
Paul and Frances Galesko (Negative Reaction)
and Swan Song (Johnny Cash and Ida Lupino),
we are shown real fireworks. In "Ransom
for a Dead Man" we don't actually see the
hostility before the murder, but afterwards,
Leslie Williams step-daughter reveals to
Columbo the tension that existed. "A Friend
in Deed" just doesn't show us this, maybe
this was done on purpose to surprise us.

I would go alone with the others. Halperin saw the chance and took it. Years of frustration at his wife kept well hidden from beady-eyes, and he wanted the cash. Imagine having to ask for money.

I really like this and put it highly, plus there are some great comedy moments with the car.

God bless,

Matthew

Columbo episodes in which the killer murders their spouse do not seem to place as much emphasis on Columbo investigating the motive.

As for Columbo quickly suspecting Halperin even though he is a police commissioner, the fact that the burglar had never before killed anyone carries a lot of weight.

Re: Re: Re: Comments on "A Friend in Deed"

I like this episode ,, but the part where the helocopter is hovering overhead while the body is thrown into the pool...all under the huge spotlight
that whole scenerio
way over the edge of reality,, almost silly

I still rate it in the upper midrange of my favorites

I really like this one a lot...due in part to the classy Richard Kiley. The ending is one of the best, along side of Suitable for Framing.
As YM pointed out, I think Ben Gazzara did a wonderful job of directing...I love the sweeping camera following Caldwell through the club's bar..it has a wonderful smooth feel to it. And all the mirrors throughout the whole episode must have been a director and cameraman's nightmare...but they pull it off terrifically. And I love all the red...it is everywhere...it starts with Janice Caldwell's dress and never lets up...at the club, even the bartender's vests, at Artie Jessup's sleaze bar, at the funeral home which is practically dripping in red!! It just gives the whole episode a great look.
One question I have....when Hugh Caldwell comes to Mark Halperin at the club to tell him he killed his wife...did Halperin think at that exact moment that he would help him and then he would force Caldwell into helping him when he killed his own wife? If so....that was pretty quick thinking!!

Well, I think I agree with Matthew. Mark had wished for many years to be free of his wife but in control of her money; but each day and night was a new adventure - after all, she indulged him the membership in the expensive gambling and drinking club.
It must have taken a day or two to put together the "second" burglary, the swimming pool crime scene, and the ridiculous helicopter flyover!

I would think they were very close friends and Mark felt that he could really could help Hugh out by pinning it on the burglar due to his position. Probably realised pretty soon (when in bed that night) that he had a way to kill his wife and have a good alibi to not be a suspect.

God bless,

Matthew

Oh and Mark looked fantastic in that hat, really suited him.

God bless,

Matthew